Funding for grad school in EE at Stanford...

Guest eehopeful

Guest eehopeful

Is there any way to get financial assistance from Stanford for the master's program in EE? I know assistantships are reserved for PhD students, but is it really impossible to get CA or RA once you get there? How about other on-campus employment? It's really sad to not be able to go because of $$$...

Guest guest

Its basically impossible. I came in with funding - but I've found the vast majority don't. A few get lucky. They get an A+ in a class, then get invited to be a TA or RA. Besies that, getting funding here is a total pain. Other departments are a bit better, however because EE is a masters program much grad students get screwed. In general, if you are interested in a PhD i would suggest going to a program that wants you to succeed. Not one that encourages academically fighting out your fellow grad students (you'll learn that for most students the honor code becomes relative). But, I have a skewed perspective, I hate it here. But alot of it has to do with the above reasons. If you do decide on Stanford make sure you have a solid group of classmates to work with.

Guest rustudent
Its basically impossible. I came in with funding - but I've found the vast majority don't. A few get lucky. They get an A+ in a class, then get invited to be a TA or RA. Besies that, getting funding here is a total pain. Other departments are a bit better, however because EE is a masters program much grad students get screwed. In general, if you are interested in a PhD i would suggest going to a program that wants you to succeed. Not one that encourages academically fighting out your fellow grad students (you'll learn that for most students the honor code becomes relative). But, I have a skewed perspective, I hate it here. But alot of it has to do with the above reasons. If you do decide on Stanford make sure you have a solid group of classmates to work with.

hey!

I have been admitted to the MS EE program there (for Wireless). Havnt received aid yet

Thats a sad picture... I heard from other ppl as well that the competition is TOO much...

btw, is it true that the class strengths are sometimes large?? I heard there are ~100 in some 1st quarter grad classes?? Also, are the research groups BIG too? with not enough interaction with profs?

Guest wondering

does anyone know (i.e. someone who has actually been there or you have heard directly from someone who is there) what the environment at stanford is really like? i mean, is it really that awful and cutthroat, etc., or is that just the sort of thing we tell ourselves so we don't feel bad that we didn't get in? just curious