Oh God..Texas A&M Chemical Engineering application Deadline

TexasGuy

they have the WRONG deadline listed on the online application...It says July 1st on the online application...But i just looked at Frequently asked questions link(which is not very easy to find, byt the way) on the chemical engineering graduate website and it said the deadline is January 1st. WTFF.??...

I would contact the program asap...I imagine that the application is more likely to be correct than FAQ (they may just not have been updated recently) and considering the conflicting information, I would hope that even if it is Jan 1st they'll let you complete an application. Best thing to do though is call them as soon as they reopen.

I am confused. I went to the website to see, but I don't see July 1st listed anywhere. This is what I saw:

The application deadlines for the graduate program are:

• January 1 for admission for the Fall semester
  • August 1 for admission for the Spring semester

These deadlines are strictly enforced. This is due to several reasons, among them that all of our PhD students are fully supported and we need to plan our financial aid as well as to allow time for international students to obtain visas. Also, keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of the students enters the program in the Fall semester. A list of general university deadlines can be found at http://ogs.tamu.edu/calendar.

Is this the right program? http://www.che.tamu.edu/graduate-program/application-deadlines/

If so, it would seem that you could apply for the Spring semester.

I'm going to disagree with the above and say it's more likely the FAQ that's correct. The online application portal for any graduate school is used by applicants to all programs. Texas A&M uses ApplyTexas, which means that it's not just school-wide -- all participating Texas schools use the same online application! Seems a more likely place to find an error/misinformation than the program website.

They don't say they have rolling admissions, so it doesn't really make sense that they'd have a deadline of July 1st for the Fall semester -- they'd hardly get any of their choice students, since everyone needs to respond to other schools by April 15th. A quick look at their "prospective students" page (click on "application deadlines") says:

"The application deadlines for the graduate program are:

January 1 for admission for the Fall semester

August 1 for admission for the Spring semester

These deadlines are strictly enforced. This is due to several reasons, among them that all of our PhD students are fully supported and we need to plan our financial aid as well as to allow time for international students to obtain visas. Also, keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of the students enters the program in the Fall semester."

So the July 1st thing is weird -- it seems the deadline for Spring admission is August 1st. I suspect they might tell you to apply for that term, but who knows, they might let you through this round if you can get them the materials ASAP. Good luck.

Edited by poeteer

ugh....yeah I saw the application deadline but then I went to the FAQ and it says the "the deadline for international students is January 1st"..then i started my application on apply texas and saw the July 1st deadline so i figured the january 1st was for international and july 1st for domestic. I'm retarded for not calling...I dont even need aid...I just want to go to the school..I'll wait and see what they say..

I'm going to disagree with the above and say it's more likely the FAQ that's correct. The online application portal for any graduate school is used by applicants to all programs.

You're right, seems like it was the FAQ here but be careful generally because I experienced the reverse with LSE (a FAQ last updated in 2009 giving strange recommendation requirements), which is why I gave the OP my original advice - probably best to check with the school either way though!

Hey guys you think i should give georgia tech masters prigram a shot? I dont need financial aid

Type: Black male

GRE Scores: Math: 163 English: 153

3.3 GPA Top 20 Chemical Engineering school (I know its low)

Given I have good recs from professors

One NSF REU and one other research project

Calculus,Chemistry & Physics Tutor

6 months of expeirence working in oil field

Georgia tech is ranked no.13. Is it worth a shot or should i not bother at all due to me crappy gpa?

Hey guys you think i should give georgia tech masters prigram a shot? I dont need financial aid

Type: Black male

GRE Scores: Math: 163 English: 153

3.3 GPA Top 20 Chemical Engineering school (I know its low)

Given I have good recs from professors

One NSF REU and one other research project

Calculus,Chemistry & Physics Tutor

6 months of expeirence working in oil field

Georgia tech is ranked no.13. Is it worth a shot or should i not bother at all due to me crappy gpa?

Unless you're strapped for cash, I don't see why you wouldn't bother. If you feel it's a reach, so what? Everyone should apply to at least one reach school. Have some confidence/hope!