From Physics to Engineering.

stuff

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so please excuse me if my post does not conform to forum standards.

I'm currently junior at a top University majoring in physics. Recently, I had an epiphany, and would like

to switch to EECS in grad school (I'd like to do an MS for sure, and even maybe a PhD).

I've already had a few EE courses, but I can fit about 6-7 EECS course in the next year or so.

This is not enough to get me a dual degree with physics & EECS, so I'll be graduate with a physics BS.

So here's a breakdown of my weakness & strengths:

1. weaknesses: No EECS research experience, no BS in EE or CS.

2. strengths: perfect physics GRE score, GPA of 3.9/4.0 (physics GPA is 4.0/4.0), published 1

experimental physics paper and several

summers of research in physics, extensive graduate coursework in physics.

Considering my situation, how realistic is it for me to get in an MS in EECS from a top program, given

I maintain my grades up?

(MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, etc...)

What should I try to do now, to smooth my chances at a top EE/CS program?

Thank you for your advice.

-stuff

Edited by stuff

Stuff: Don't be discouraged...it is very common for Physics majors to jump to other fields. My own adviser finished his bachelors and masters in physics at a top university and then finished his PhD in EE at Berkeley...in only three years too!

If you have a good GPA from a top school, that is already a good sign. The two other most important things are letters of recommendations and then your SOP. The ideal LOR comes from someone famous in the field and who knows you personally. I found the best way to get good LORs is to cultivate relationships with professors before hand...give it at least an year. Jump on their research project, show your enthusiasm, work your butt off, impress them and finally ask their advice about graduate school...if you did everything right, at that point they will most likely offer to write you an LOR. That is honestly the only way to get good LORs and a good LOR can make everything else not matter.

Do your masters at your own school or extend your graduation if you have to so that you can prepare for your graduate application. Make a game plan for the next year or two about what you need to accomplish to get in where you want to.

Edited by AbaNader

• 1 year later...

You shouldn't have any problem whatsoever.  I graduated last year with a B.A. in physics with a math minor (I went to a good but very small liberal arts college that does not offer a B.S.), my GPA was lower than yours, I have no publications, and all of my research experience is in neuroscience since that was my major until my senior fall.   So far I've gotten into Tufts and UT Austin for master's programs in mechanical engineering.  From what I understand, physics prepares you best for mechanical or electrical engineering, so you should be fine - especially if you have a good amount of CS under your belt already.  Engineering schools will mostly only require the general GRE, but I supposed a perfect score on the physics one couldn't hurt.    

I'll add my two cents--

I'm a physics and astrophysics double major at a fairly top notch school, also with a 3.9 GPA. Also, all my research is in astronomy, and I have no publications.

I applied to Aerospace Engineering MS programs for Fall 2013 and have gotten into the majority of the places I applied, including Stanford, a top 3 school in Aero/Astro, and several more top 10 programs (see my signature for more details).

I actually thought I'd be at a disadvantage so I applied to a LOT of places, but it turns out that it's really not a disadvantage at all, at least for Aerospace. This I get from (a) my results and (B) Aerospace professors who have said it's not a disadvantage.

Hope this helps!

Edited by iamthewalrus696