Asian Studies 2009

Genghis

Random question:

I thought that somehow had posted that they had gotten into UW-Seattle's Japan Studies program. Of course, now I can't seem to find that post on the result page, but I'm probably just in too impatient a mood. In any case, if such a person is out there, I was just wondering if financial aid information came with your acceptance letter?

I got a letter indicating that I was accepted to the UW Japan Studies program, and this letter indicated that they would send a subsequent letter with financial aid (fellowship) information. I was getting a little impatient, so I emailed the department and was informed that the Jackson School financial aid committee is meeting this week. I assume that they will send letters out next week.

So how much background does everyone have in Asia/Asian studies? And how are your Asian language skills? I'm feeling inadequate... :P

sigh, same feeling here! i've done quite a bit of asian studies too, but still feel like i will totally bomb this..

but to answer the question, i've got an undergrad and an MA in chinese studies from a UK university, have a good (but now rusty) level of mandarin chinese, and speak intermediate-level cantonese. i never learned japanese or korean, but did do 2 years of classical chinese.

however, i'm also curious about how people are dealing with this feeling of inadequacy, i noticed on some other threads that folks are planning to study quite a bit before gradschool comes around. i too have embarked on the get-smart-before-gradschool mission with (moderate) fervor. i've decided i should do an hour and a half of modern chinese language per day, plus read a lot of modern literature in translation, and force myself to do around 4-6 hours of classical chinese per week. i find it extremely hard to stick to my own decisions, so i made a little study map that i try and follow. of course there are treats and stuff for good work (chocolates, gummy bears, chai, a good non china-related book etc.). i know it sounds absurd, but hey, this is how i managed to write an MA thesis and pass all my exams, so the method works for me ;)

any one else with ideas on how to fight the inadequacy feeling?

I got a letter indicating that I was accepted to the UW Japan Studies program, and this letter indicated that they would send a subsequent letter with financial aid (fellowship) information. I was getting a little impatient, so I emailed the department and was informed that the Jackson School financial aid committee is meeting this week. I assume that they will send letters out next week.

Thanks! I haven't actually heard from UW-Seattle. (I applied to the China Studies program.) I'm hoping this means that they are waiting to send out letters with financial aid info and not that they are just being slow in sending out rejection letters. They sent out an e-mail saying that they would be notifying us by snail mail which means that it may be an entire week after they send out letter before I hear because I'm on the other side of the country.

sigh, same feeling here! i've done quite a bit of asian studies too, but still feel like i will totally bomb this..

but to answer the question, i've got an undergrad and an MA in chinese studies from a UK university, have a good (but now rusty) level of mandarin chinese, and speak intermediate-level cantonese. i never learned japanese or korean, but did do 2 years of classical chinese.

however, i'm also curious about how people are dealing with this feeling of inadequacy, i noticed on some other threads that folks are planning to study quite a bit before gradschool comes around. i too have embarked on the get-smart-before-gradschool mission with (moderate) fervor. i've decided i should do an hour and a half of modern chinese language per day, plus read a lot of modern literature in translation, and force myself to do around 4-6 hours of classical chinese per week. i find it extremely hard to stick to my own decisions, so i made a little study map that i try and follow. of course there are treats and stuff for good work (chocolates, gummy bears, chai, a good non china-related book etc.). i know it sounds absurd, but hey, this is how i managed to write and MA thesis and pass all my exams, so the method works for me ;)

any one else with ideas on how to fight the inadequacy feeling?

Yup, I am doing basically the same thing, setting aside time for Chinese study every day, and also reading a lot of books on my areas of interest. In the time I've been out of school I lived in Taiwan for a while and in some ways my Chinese improved, but in other, more "academic" ways, it went backwards. And I really need to get a better handle on simplified characters. I also do the same thing and allow myself good non-China books after I've studied hard for a while.

If you don't mind me asking, where were you in Taiwan/ what were you doing? I spent 2 years in China. If I don't get accepted this time around I think what would probably make the most sense is for me to head back to a Chinese-speaking environment. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'll just end up getting off track. I've only been in the US a few months and my language abilities are declining so rapidly. Anyway, I'm seriously thinking about trying to find work in Taiwan or Hong Kong so I'm curious about other people's experiences there. I've never been.

I was living in a rural/very poor part of China. I'm ready for something a bit more cosmopolitan.

I was teaching English in just outside of Taipei. It was a lot of fun, and definitely not very rural or poor. However, the amount of time I spent in an English speaking environment with other native speakers of English wasn't the best situation for learning Chinese. The best conversations were frequently with taxi drivers who felt the need to quiz me about my entire life story. :P But I loved Taiwan and could have been happy there a very long time if I hadn't decided that I should pursue something other than teaching English.

Also rejected at Stanford. With no language background, I knew I was a long shot. Congratulations to those who've been accepted. I am curious about the number of applicants, though. It's unfortunate for late bloomers that most EA master's programs normally require some beginning level classes.

I just graduated with my BA in East Asian Studies with a focus on East Asian Languages in January. Although I was born in the US, I grew up speaking Cantonese. I have advanced-level Mandarin and advanced Japanese. I took two years of Korean classes and a year of classical Chinese.

Just out of curiousity: for those with Masters degrees, did you pursue this degree right away after graduating with your Bachelors? I'm tempted to get some travel/work experience under my belt first...

That was my only application. My options were pretty limited, since most school web sites I looked at mentioned one year of language study as a prerequisite for applying, with the exceptions of Stanford, Michigan and Harvard. Maybe I'll look into American University's regional studies degree, since I live in the D.C. area. My stats were probably comparatively low, but I have 3+ years of work experience at an internationally-focused organization. Any ideas for next year?

I don't have a masters yet, but I will be starting a masters program. I waited 3 years after undergrad. To each their own, but I'm certainly glad I took that time.

Just out of curiousity: for those with Masters degrees, did you pursue this degree right away after graduating with your Bachelors? I'm tempted to get some travel/work experience under my belt first...

I took the same route as Duli. When I talked with my adviser my senior year in college about the possibility of going to grad school she urged me not to apply immediately. She said your odds of admission are better if you spend some time in your "target country" first. I taught EFL, which seems like a very common route, but I found it to be extremely worthwhile. If I hadn't been accepted this time around, especially given the economic situation at the moment, I was planning on looking for another EFL job in China just in a new location.

So the only school I am waiting to hear from is NYU, and I finally wrote to them to ask if decisions had been made. I got the response:"No decision has been made because applications aren't due until April 15th. You should hear about your application sometime in May." What?? Well, I guess I'm not going there since obviously I am not going to turn down the 2 acceptances that I have to decide on by April 15th. I guess I never payed attention to the April deadline because the deadline if you are also applying for funding was sometime in January so I only cared about that. Don't you think a lot of people end up turning down offers for that program with such late decisions?

I havent heard a PEEP from Columbia since I clicked that "submit" button the first week of January. Any thoughts? Prob got rejected.

Columbia EALAC has already had their prospective students' visitation day. You should probably have heard by now -- at least a MARSEA offer, if not an acceptance or rejection. Perhaps it's time to call and check on the status of your application.

hello everybody! Iam fresh here.

I applied to MA programs in EAS and History.

I have been admitted into Yale's master program in EAS and now waiting for their official offer letter.

Anyone know about the funding of this program?

Any potential classmates here?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...