Comp Lit 2012

my POIs at hopkins were lisi, hent de vries, and marrati; lisi actually got his PhD from yale comp lit, and he's been my contact at hopkins throughout this process. the theoretical fit at hopkins is almost too perfect; unlike almost any other lit depts in the u.s., the hc really emphasizes philosophy, and not just in terms of literature. in fact, three or four of the faculty have appointments in both the HC and philosophy dept. but de vries does continental philosophy of religion, which is right up my alley, marrati does derrida, and lisi does the relationship between philosophy and literature, with an emphasis on kierkegaard. i studied abroad in denmark during my sophomore year, solely because of my love for kierkegaard, so that was another reason. finally, the first and only adorno society is about to be launched at hopkins (march 2nd), and i would love to play a role in it, considering that i've written on him more than anything else. hopkins would be perfect, except it doesn't have the modernists that yale does, nor the resources (libraries and collections) that yale does.

with respect to practical matters, neither city would be that great, though i hear baltimore has an interesting counterculture scene, and new haven is only about an hour from new york and on the other side only a few hours from some of my favorite places in western mass.

You might also find that you're able to take classes and work with faculty in the English and French/German departments at Hopkins, which might work to overcome some of the deficiency in modernist lit people. I expect there'd be a number of strong people in literary modernism in those departments, though I don't know about them in any detail

as i've further researched my potential future schools, i've started to hear that yale comp lit is less highly regarded than it once was... several have pointed out that few faculty in the department are publishing regularly, and that the department may not be as active as it once was. is anyone on here under the impression that yale is no longer one of the top comp lit programs? or does anyone know of any additional causes to be wary of the program?

i appreciate any feedback offered...

We have acceptances and at least one wait list on the board from UCLA. I'm debating whether or not to solicit my rejection email the department. Has anyone had contact with them?

I emailed the department politely asking for a status check, and received an instant reply saying all the first round acceptances and wait list positions had gone out already, so essentially I'm rejected. That same day, someone logged an acceptance on the results board here, so who knows? I can tell you that I sent 3 status check emails to 3 different programs and received 3 rejections from those programs in, like, one day. I swear I was polite in my email, I just think they were gonna reject me anyway.

Not sure what advice I can give, but I can tell you that they haven't sent out any formal rejections yet, so I figure they're sitting on a big pile of rejections waiting for the right moment or something.

Thanks for the reply, Heather. I might as well just wait it out, I guess.

Even when the rejection is implicit, I don't know why I want the official word so badly. But that seems to be the case with a lot of us around here.

I heard from UCLA last week. (so late because they were waiting to put together my financial package- i am an international) Prof. Kristal told me that all acceptances were out a few weeks ago. However, I think I am leaning towards NYU so people waitlisted for UCLA might want to keep their hopes up.

hey everyone,

I just found this thread! Ryzhaya, I'm the Penn State Comp Lit acceptance - I don't know what to say besides the fact that I interviewed with them a couple weeks ago and I thought it went well, though they hardly asked me anything. feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

pel, I think you're in Istanbul like I am, correct? - just so you know, I got the Stanford rejection yesterday through postal service. Hope you hear better news than I did though!

also, who are the lucky people who got into michigan's program? =)

pel, I think you're in Istanbul like I am, correct? - just so you know, I got the Stanford rejection yesterday through postal service. Hope you hear better news than I did though!

Yes I currently live in istanbul but I went to college in the US. I e-mailed stanford last week, still no news... and it is one of the last two schools that I'm waiting to hear from.. are you considering indiana ( is it bloomington?) my former thesis advisor is now a professor there. It is a very strong comp lit program as far as I know.

Yes I currently live in istanbul but I went to college in the US. I e-mailed stanford last week, still no news... and it is one of the last two schools that I'm waiting to hear from.. are you considering indiana ( is it bloomington?) my former thesis advisor is now a professor there. It is a very strong comp lit program as far as I know.

yes, it is bloomington. I really like their program so I'm considering indiana seriously but I'm still waiting to hear from them about funding so we'll see.

Congratulations, inciragaci, and thanks for responding! I guess that means I can start considering Penn State an implicit rejection . . . ah, well. :)

What other Comp Lit programs are we all waiting on? I'm still waiting on U Mass Amherst (and someone got an early notice on the results board, so I'd imagine their decisions are coming soon); Colorado (should be coming out next week, according to an earlier email); and Toronto's MA program.

They've sent out acceptances and wait list candidates.

I have seen this too many times ... just waiting for the formal no.

i've already committed to yale.

did you get into harvard? just out of curiosity, what's the funding there?

Edited by vordhosbntwin

Hey guys,

I've already said yes to a department but am still waitlisted at yale and just figured out that I was one of the two people waitlisted there (for comp lit) I really really like my current choice but would still like to know whether yale could be an option. Is there anyone who got in but planning not to go?

Edited by pel

I found out a little while back that I got into the comp lit MA program at the University of Washington. No word about funding, but I was pretty stoked, since my husband found out a few hours later that he was admitted into the PHD program there as well. I thought everything was falling into place nicely until I got an email yesterday morning telling me that I'd been wait-listed for U-Toronto. What are the odds of getting accepted from that waitlist considering that I'm from the wrong CA?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all! Just discovered this site. I'm trying to choose between 4 acceptances to Comp Lit programs: SUNY Buffalo, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, UCLA, and UC Santa Cruz (in Literature). I'm just wondering if I could get some of your opinions/thoughts? I'm aware that they all have different strengths, but they all seem so awesome that I can't decide. My interests are theory and 20th century Latin American literature, and a little bit of French. Also interested in expanding a bit into cont. philosophy and visual culture. They've all offered relatively equal support packages of fellowships +TA-ships.

ps. Also, has anyone else STILL not heard back from some programs?

nwgrad, I finally heard back from the last one I was waiting on (Northwestern) today. wait-listed with a "good chance" of being nudged into an acceptance.

ahem, speaking of, PS: if anyone has been planning on turning down their Northwestern offer, please do, and spare me this state of limbo. ;_;

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Do we all know where we are going next year? I will be turning down two offers (ucla-comp lit and columbia- english MA) I hope my decision will make some of you happy. :)