SOP for MS applicants

Orange745

I have a few questions about SOPs...

1. People talk a lot about SOPs for phd students, do the same rules apply for a masters applicant? My statement was pretty career focused.

2. Should the SOP be somewhat anecdotal?

3. How specific should I be when describing what I want to study? How direct should it be? (i.e. Is it enough to say I am interested in this field with this specialization because of ________.)

I'm applying to operations research engineering programs, but I'm a math and econ double major (graduating). I had an engineering internship for a few summers so I have some experience. I read the post about SOPs but I'm still somewhat confused. I explained how I discovered OR, why I chose my majors, my experience with research, and then I explained the importance of a masters degree to my career aspirations. I then complimented the school's curriculem in generic terms and I told them I would be a good fit ect. Is that all you're supposed to do? I have a feeling in the back of my mind that I am missing something.

For the sciences, I don`t think an anecdotal SOP is the way to go. Be as objective as possible re: your research interests, why you want to pursue studies at whatever university you are applying to, what your qualifications are, and your career aspirations.

For the sciences, I don`t think an anecdotal SOP is the way to go. Be as objective as possible re: your research interests, why you want to pursue studies at whatever university you are applying to, what your qualifications are, and your career aspirations.

TRUTH. I'm 2 for 2 on admissions so far to PhD and I did just about this for my statements.

Here's sort of an outline for how I structured mine:

Interesting/engaging opener for what brought you to realize you wanted to go to grad school.

Why do you want the specific degree (in your case, most places will want an explanation as to why you want MS over PhD)

Research experience

Career aspirations

Why this school? (what can the school offer you that others can't?)

Which prof do you have an interest in working with and why? (look at their research and focus on why it's appealing to you)

Why you? (what you can offer the school that other candidates can't)

Interesting closure to tie it all together.

Hope that helps some, though I can only speak for PhD apps.

Thanks for the advice. I still have one more application to hand in (late deadline). I'll definitely have to add in more specifics about why I want their school and do a little name dropping. It will be interesting because the last school has a pretty big department with about 6-8 people doing stuff that is very closely tied to my interests. My SOP is also getting to be pretty long as is, sounds like I have more work to do!

Thanks for the advice. I still have one more application to hand in (late deadline). I'll definitely have to add in more specifics about why I want their school and do a little name dropping. It will be interesting because the last school has a pretty big department with about 6-8 people doing stuff that is very closely tied to my interests. My SOP is also getting to be pretty long as is, sounds like I have more work to do!

Name dropping is DEFINITELY important. A lot of programs admit students based on which advisors need grads so if you say you are interested in the work of Mr. Smith and not many other people do, your chances are increased.

Yes, I focused mine on three areas:

*my background, experience, and preparation for graduate study

*my career goals, short and long term

*why exactly I wanted to attend that particular university - why their program, and what I could bring to their program.

It wound up being about 2 pages, single spaced, but I have a tendency to write a LOT when i write.