U of Chicago - Divinity School

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I've been accepted to UChicago Divinity MA program. I'm excited but a bit apprehensive about attending. My main goal is to receive my Ph.D in Philosophy and teach. Although the Divinity school has a great reputation (I think) and my main interest is in Philosophy of Religion I'm concerned that attending the Divinity school might have a stigma attached to it. I am certainly going to be able to take philosophy courses as the school encourages interdisciplinary work. Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone have info on the program? Thanks!

I'm no expert, but I think if you want to teach philosophy your end goal should absolutely be a phil phd. That said, Chicago is a great school and many philosophy programs would probably look favorably on your application even coming from a divinity ma program as long as you did substantial coursework in philosophy.

Guest phronesis
I've been accepted to UChicago Divinity MA program. I'm excited but a bit apprehensive about attending. My main goal is to receive my Ph.D in Philosophy and teach. Although the Divinity school has a great reputation (I think) and my main interest is in Philosophy of Religion I'm concerned that attending the Divinity school might have a stigma attached to it. I am certainly going to be able to take philosophy courses as the school encourages interdisciplinary work. Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone have info on the program? Thanks!

The Divinity program at the UofC is great. I have known a few people in it and the UofC is a great intellectual community. I don't think anyone gets funding unitl after qualifying for the PhD, but you may already know that. Divinity is a great place to study philosophy (particularly if you are interested in continental philosophy). Jean-Luc Marion, who is probably the most famous living french philosopher and theologian, is in the philosophy department and divinity school (and Social Thought) and he come every spring and usually teaches a course on Continental Rationalism and one on phenomenology - I took his courses on Descartes, phenomenology of the other, and phenomenology of love - and they are pretty intense - his history courses are best, though. David Tracy is really involved in philosophical intellecual history and there are generally many div people who stidy philosophy (continental philosophy). I don't know how a divinity degree looks to philosophy departments - but you might want to consider studying divinity, if you are successful at chicago.

Guest Guest

Thanks - I'm very excited to work with Bernard McGinn - he's working on christian mysticism and that is something I'm extremely interested in. I did receive funding ($16K Tution scholarship) which is great and the only thing I'm concerned about his the Divinity school and if it has a stigma attached. I hope not and perhaps after the Open House I'll be less concerned.

Guest guest

Hi! I got into Emory and Uchicago Religion and I am trying to make a choice between the two. I got a stipend from Chicago (for 3 years, I have my master's) while aid at Emory is for 5 years. How do people get by unsupported for the last few years while on their dissertation? Have you figured that out?

Guest Guest

Emory was my first choice and my first rejection although I'm now rather happy that I wasn't accepted. After talking with friends I'm not sure Atlanta was the right place for me at this time and I've always loved Chicago. I think your decision comes down to which school is doing what you're interested in, the climate of the school, then the money (at least that's how I'm trying to look at things). Let me know what your thoughts are as far as Chicago vs. Emory - I'd be interested as I'll probably reapply to Emory in 2 years.