Applying late in the game to CSUs. Advice for out of state backups with later deadlines

allyba

Hey Everyone,

I am working abroad right now and hadn´t planned on heading back this year but, it is looking like my job isn´t going to work out great in 2012. So, I thought I´d apply a little earlier than expected to MSW programs. I rushed in apps to CSUN and CSUEB. Thinking of turning one into CSULA if they don´t do rolling admissions. Anyone know? Really bummed I wasn´t able to turn them in early but I didn´t know at the time what was happening. I hope my experience abroad helps! Anyone know if people were accepted last year that applied later in the application period?

Also, can anyone recommend schools out of state that have later application deadlines?

Edited by allyba

CSULA does have rolling admissions, however from what I hear their program is rather competitive - over a thousand apply and only 125 get accepted. They have rolling admissions on an "available space basis" meaning those who turn in their application after December 15 are competing for whatever spots are left.

I know Hunter is due February 5 and I'm currently working on my NYU's application which is due February 6.

Also, I believe USC also has rolling admissions, so you should definitely give them a shot. Good luck!

Thanks! i am discouraged by the sticker shock of the out of state options I´ve looked at. So expensive. There are plenty it seems with later deadlines but, realistically, taking out big loans for an MSW isn´t an option for me. I have emailed CSULA and I am not impressed with the admin/advising department. Gave me a bad feeling. Of course, they could just be rushed right now and everyone has bad days. I have to decide in the next few days if I even want to put my app in. I used to work as an academic advisor and I think that admin/advising can be a reflection of the quality of the program. Anyone know much about their program?

Edited by allyba