Who Applied to Oregon?

lovenhaight

Well, I'm not the one who posted the acceptance, but I'm about to post one! Woohoooooo! I'm working on a paper in our statistics lab and literally just screamed at the top of my lungs when I saw the email pop up, then ran down the hallways to our faculty offices and told everyone I saw.

I think I was more anxious than I realized. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm with you lovenhaight. I searched and searched for tickets 3 weeks ago, and couldn't find anything under $550, and that was flying to Portland and then hopping on a bus. The grad coordinator apologized that they simply weren't able to reimburse expenses over $300.

I don't take this policy as a good sign moving forward.

Have any of you tried Priceline's negotiator thing? You can bid on tickets at a discounted price. The catch is that you won't know your exact flight details until after you pay for the tickets, but you will also pay anywhere from 20-40% lower. If you're flexible on time, this is a great deal. (I'm not trying to sound like an ad -- I've used this before for a frivolous, spur of the moment trip.)

I'm with you lovenhaight. I searched and searched for tickets 3 weeks ago, and couldn't find anything under $550, and that was flying to Portland and then hopping on a bus. The grad coordinator apologized that they simply weren't able to reimburse expenses over $300.

I don't take this policy as a good sign moving forward.

I'm not too concerned about the travel reimbursement being a sign of any trouble in the department. Budgets are tight everywhere, and we're nearing the end of the fiscal year so departments are usually watching their pennies pretty closely - particularly state schools. Another part of my inability to get out there is that I teach and this was the week after Spring Break...and my students have an exam on Tuesday, so I couldn't really have someone cover lest the students melt down and blow up my email account. I'm hoping to get out there as soon as classes are over to look around, but it may happen that the first time I see Eugene is when we actually make the move. I'm fine with that though, since everyone I talk to that has any experience living there seems to adore it. I've also heard nothing but good things about the department.

Edited by lovenhaight

Hey lovenhaight,

I went to the department visit--sorry you couldn't be there. It was really amazing! :D The faculty and graduate students are great, Eugene is beautiful, and UO's campus is really nice  too.

So, I think I am going to Oregon too, I haven't officially announced it, because I want to sleep on it some more...but I look forward to perhaps being in your cohort! :D

Edited by princesspi