GPA and Grad School Admission

Hege-Money

Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of the different Sociology Ph.D. programs within the T-20 that calculate GPA for admission based solely on the last two years?

I've already searched through the grad school websites, but I could only come up with Berkeley and UCLA.

The best tool is going to be using this site and clicking results survey at the top. Look for ones with the red diamond - hover over it and you'll see some peoples stats.

You're going to find out that top programs, more times than not, have 1300+ GRE's and GPA's of 3.8-4.0. But, like everything in this process, there are things that outweigh that (work experience, publications, etc.)

I don't mean to be insolent, but that's not what I asked. I asked which schools calculate GPA based on the last 2 years of undergraduate work NOT what the average GPA is for each school. Knowing the latter - while useful - is irrelevant to my question.

Thanks anyway though.

I don't mean to be insolent, but that's not what I asked. I asked which schools calculate GPA based on the last 2 years of undergraduate work NOT what the average GPA is for each school. Knowing the latter - while useful - is irrelevant to my question.

Thanks anyway though.

Oh, hah. Lesson to the world: don't squeeze in forum browsing in between note taking during a lecture.

While on this topic, on all of your admissions when it listed the GPA you were all putting your cumulative total GPA right? I only came across I think one or two applications that asked specifically what my last two years GPA was.

Generally, yeah, although I think there was one (UCLA? Princeton?) where I had to calculate my major GPA. Which was terrible, because I double-majored AND transferred colleges.

Oh..and your question...do you really think any school ONLY looks at the last two years?

I guarantee UCLA and Berkeley look at the first two years....even if they aren't "calculated".

Once again, that is not what I asked. I was not at all suggesting (at least I wasn't trying to suggest) that schools, like UCLA and UCB, ONLY look at one's last two years when performing the holistic review of one's application. I was simply asking WHICH schools formally ask on their applications for a GPA calculated using only the last two years of instruction. It's a technical question regarding the actual, official application.

Thanks anyway though.

Are you Canadian? That is a style I've seen largely only in Canada (I'm applying only to schools in Ontario and am American). Most Progs I've seen in the states do a overall GPA cut-off.

Are you Canadian? That is a style I've seen largely only in Canada (I'm applying only to schools in Ontario and am American). Most Progs I've seen in the states do a overall GPA cut-off.

Do you know much about McMaster? I applied there, but I've never even been to Canada.