New lurker here

quick1

I've been lurking on this forum for a month or two (I wish I had known this existed when I was filling out applications!) and figured I'd join up and join in a bit.

A little about me:

I'm currently waiting to hear back from schools for a PhD in either Counseling Psych or Clinical Psych.

I have a B.S. in a totally unrelated science field and a recently obtained M.A. in Clinical and Counseling Psych. I see some clients currently and just began getting intake experience.

I spent close to 2 years working on a qualitative research study, totally voluntary thesis because you know they're fun!, with a focus on those of us in the field, our experiences as they impact our relationships, and basically hoping to contribute to research on clinician self care , interpersonal relationships, and work life balance.

This is "technically" my 2nd time applying to PhD programs but my first time I had no clue what I was doing and really had no business applying when I did. Fortunately that first try got me into an M.A./M.S. program and really helped me develop and find my focus.

I'm a late 20s guy and outside of school I like writing, biking, music making and listening, and just trying not to lose my mind while I figure out where I'll end up next. And naturally I enjoy caffeine.

Welcome to the forum! I stumbled upon this site after I finished my applications last year, definitely wished that I had found it before for obvious reasons. But I'm glad I finally did as it was pretty helpful to have somewhere to go during that dreadful waiting period. So are you from NJ or Philly? I'm a Jersey girl through and through, got my BA from The College of NJ, which isn't too far from Philly. I miss it a bit, but the DC area is pretty great.

What schools did you apply to?

Welcome to the forum! I stumbled upon this site after I finished my applications last year, definitely wished that I had found it before for obvious reasons. But I'm glad I finally did as it was pretty helpful to have somewhere to go during that dreadful waiting period. So are you from NJ or Philly? I'm a Jersey girl through and through, got my BA from The College of NJ, which isn't too far from Philly. I miss it a bit, but the DC area is pretty great.

What schools did you apply to?

Thanks! I'm from South Jersey originally but got my B.S. and M.A. in Philly.

I'm applied to like 15 schools, I wanted to get a good spread and selection. Unfortunately already got 3 rejections and I think at least 2 more are implied rejections due to timelines. A bunch had application deadlines in January so I figure there is still a bunch of time left. Already have a few other schools I'd want to apply to if this round proves unsuccessful.

Adelphi

Bowling Green State

Clark University - Rejected

Duquesne University

Long Island University

Penn State

U of Penn

University of Rochester - Rejected

St. Johns University

SUNY Stony Brook

Boston College

Ball State

Lehigh University

University of Maryland - Rejected

Seton Hall

Temple University

My application process last year started with rejections also -- so stressful. Try not to get too discouraged while waiting for better news. It's nice to be a year past all of that and looking forward to meeting the new people who will be coming to interview for my program soon. It's good that you've started thinking about what to do if things don't work out this round. Having a Plan B helped me cope with the waiting. I was also lucky in that I had people I could talk to about the process -- I hope you have some helpful and supportive friends also. Good luck!