CV/Experience Improvements for MPP Apps

rudy2012

First time poster, but i've been lurking. I graduated in 2010 with my BA in Psych, 3.7 GPA, a bunch of really good extracurriculars/honors societies/awards/NCAA athlete. I have been working full time since in renewable energy, so by the time I apply in Fall 2012, I will have 2 years of solid work exp. BUT I haven't been volunteering/NGO/thinktanks the last 2 years since graduation (stupid me), and I was never able to study abroad due to NCAA sport. My question is, what should/can I do from here on out until applications time (~9 months) to improve my apps? I am in San Diego, where there seem to be almost NO opportunities for volunteer work related to public policy. I just got started with a climate lobbying group so that's something, but it's def not a huge, well-known NGO/think tank or anything..I know they have fellowship-type experiences heavily concentrated on PP for people still in undergrad - does anyone know of anything I could get involved in at this point? Anything for people who have already graduated undergrad? Everything I have seen is internships/fellowships for current students. I will be quitting my job/going to travel aboad for about 2 months, then moving away from San Diego before applying, so even somethign like a 2 or 3 week immersion experience or internship (for non current students) in PP maybe?? And I am genuinely interested in PP, I have more motivations than JUST my applications, so something like what I described would be really cool..I know it just sounded like all I care about is resume padding..

I think doing one three week immersion trip would almost seem superficial and contrived if it's around the corner from applications and you have never done anything remotely like that before. But if you are looking to boost your international credentials, maybe just taking a couple of trips to different parts of the world and visiting various countries while on vacation could be a reasonable substitute. That would at least demonstrate your interest in the international scene without making it seem like you begged, borrowed, and pleaded for a humanitarian gig with no prior experience or interest with it. No matter what you do, it all should sync and mesh with your story line. And don't sell yourself short on the NCAA athletics. Athletes diversify an incoming class and bring a different perspective to the classroom!