Ranking of NELC/Islamic Studies Programs

mimiuchi

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can find the inside scoop on relative rankings of top Near East/Islamic Studies programs? I know there is no way to definitively rank programs, but what have people read/heard/general thoughts on this issue?

More specifically, i've been accepted to uChicago's NELC, and i've been told by one or two people that it is considered the most prestigious Islamic studies program in North America, with Harvard as a second runner. Can anyone confirm or challenge this statement?

mimiuchi

PS - i know that for PhD programs you should go where you find the most suitable supervisor. I'm just wondering about prestige/rank/reputation overall?

Edited by mimiuchi

Congrats on U Chicago! It's a great program. Both Chicago and Harvard are top-notch. I would also probably equate Princeton and Columbia in this category as well (for modern Middle East, not just Islamic Studies). I know a lot of people who would *kill* to get into Chicago, so you should be very proud of your accomplishment.

With any of these programs, your adviser + the name can open up a lot of doors for you, but it also comes down to your own presentation/publication record as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I did my undergraduate at Chicago (I'm at the American University in Beirut now...great professors, terrible university). It is unbelievable. They have everything, though they skew pre-Modern.