How to Notify Job?

xxcheshirecatox

I have a question regarding employers... Basically, I have an offer in hand and I'm relatively sure I'm going to accept it (I have yet to visit the campus, however, and I have not received an "official" acceptance on the school's website, but have received a letter from the department confirming my acceptance and funding). However, since it's not official, I am hesitant to tell my employer.

At most jobs, I would be fine with waiting, but the job I currently hold is at a research division of a large university, and I do NOT want to burn any bridges, as it would be a considerable advantage to keep a good relationship with them. Plus, I really like these people and I respect them. My boss has just asked me to serve in a leadership role on a long-term research project, and has noted that it would require at least one year of commitment from me. I do not want to keep working on this project only to announce that I'm jumping ship, but I also do not feel comfortable telling them why (yet) until I have signed on the dotted line with the university I am planning on attending.

What would you do? I am visiting my campus on the 24th, but this research project is starting to really take off, like now. I feel like I am kind of caught between a rock and a hard place. I don't want to rush my decision, but I also don't want to piss off the hand that has been feeding me and will continue to do so for the next 6 months.

Thanks for any input.

Have a heart-to-heart with the adviser you're closest with and tell him about this HUGE opportunity for you. They've probably been in similar positions, and you'll only do yourself a disservice by waiting given the circumstances, (maybe even recommend a trust-worthy replacement?) and unless they have a vindictive or possessive spirit, odds are they want to see you succeed.

Unofficial offers with funding information are not sent out frivolously, so unless you have a legitimate reason to worry about issues with your admission, consider it done! This feels so stressful right now, but when you're in your new program, working on your own project, publishing, etc, hindsight will make this a blip in the road. Good luck!

I agree with Origin=Goal. I would just talk to your supervisor and explain the situation that you haven't accepted yet, but it is looking like you won't be there in the Fall. I know it might be an awk conversation, but better to do it now when they can position someone else for the leadership role than a month from now. If you accept the leadership role and then end up leaving to go back to school, I think that would burn more bridges than just being honest about your current situation.

I would talk to them. My dad is in management and the one thing he always tells me is that bosses are just people too. He doesn't understand why people withhold information from him when it comes to stuff like this and appreciates it when they discuss it with him first.