Jump to content

Engineering, advisor outside of admitted department?


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

After being admitted to a masters/Ph.D program, can you request to have an advisor outside of the department to which you have been admitted? For example, I applied to several schools into the mechanical engineering program focusing on computational fluid dynamics, but i was recommended by my undergrad adviser to try and work with a specific professor in the Engineering Sciences and Mechanics department who pretty much does a ton of CFD. So my question is if i am enrolled into the ME program, do i HAVE to have an adviser who is listed under the ME department?


Link to comment
Share on other sites

This sort of thing seems to vary between programs but I think it is possible. I was admitted to Cornell's MS/PhD Civil & Environmental Engineering department and expressed interest in some professors in the Biological & Environmental Engineering department with positive response. I'm not sure if the same would apply to your case since the departments that I contacted are so closely related but it would certainly be worth asking the program director.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use