Straight from undergrad to PhD

shavasana

I went straight from undergrad to a JD/MPP. Now I'm applying for a PhD.

I can say with certainty that I would have been unprepared for a PhD right out of undergrad. For me, that was entirely due to the undergrad I attended. It was a small, private school that lacked any rigor. I think that the JD was a good step toward the rigors of a PhD.

It is certainly possible that someone's undergraduate experience could adequately prepare them for grad school. One advantage of heading straight in is that you'll finish at a younger age. Furthermore, you are still acutely aware of what it is like to live as a student.

The biggest concern that I have is the possibility of getting burned out.

I'm going straight through. I couldn't imagine doing anything else, really. I work a semi-normal job over the summers (summer camp at a gym), and it is mind numbing. A regular job would probably be bad for my soul, or at least my sanity. No gap year of working for me.

I decided to take a year out to revise for the GRE and make sure I'm prepared. I'm paranoid of course that I will end up failing to be accepted anywhere and have wasted a year! Three months left of my undergrad so I'm starting to get back into researching schools etc. now.

Pros..

Time to study for GRE

New staff to get references from

A summer to read and refine research interests.

Cons.

I've lost a year and may not get in!

Whoa! I thought I was on the high end, but 21 certainly takes the cake.

I really didn't want to take any chances. I know for sure that this is what I want to do, and I don't really have anything else lined up, so I'm totally sure that come what may, I'll be going to a PhD program in the Fall. So I wanted to maximize my choices as much as possible. Considering the fact that I'm 1 for 6 right now, I think applying to so many was a good idea.

Edited by Apill

I really didn't want to take any chances. I know for sure that this is what I want to do, and I don't really have anything else lined up, so I'm totally sure that come what may, I'll be going to a PhD program in the Fall. So I wanted to maximize my choices as much as possible. Considering the fact that I'm 1 for 6 right now, I think applying to so many was a good idea.

If you have the money to do this, I don't think it's unreasonable at all :) I was advised to apply to as many as I could afford. I applied to 15.

2 years out from my UG and I now have an MA, a few years reserch experience, a handful of TAships, some research trips abroad, conference presentations, working towards some publications. When all is said and done, the accomplishment has been working out what I want to study (something I did not know for sure in my undergraduate because the time I might have spent deciding what field really interested ME [rather than my favourite professors] was devoted to athletics). I am happy with where I am now but I might have been equally happy going straight into a PhD (gotta love the counterfactual).

I went from undergrad, to one semester of a master's program (I figured I might as well be doing something while I wait for responses - also, what if I didn't get anywhere? Better to have started a program and then just complete it before reapplying), and will be going to a PhD program.

The pro that really does it for me is being able to continue studying at a school where I'm funded. Not all of us have the money to pay for graduate programs, and I have been very fortunate up to this point to have had my education paid for by scholarships and grants.

The con that I'm worried about is not being (or at least feeling like I'm not) 'up to par' compared to my fellow students.

I'm finishing my undergrad in 3 years and straight through at the same time! All rejections so far... haha I guess I overestimated myself. :/

Nevertheless, I think this is a humbling experience for me. I could only imagine how cocky I would be if I got into PhD after 3 years of college.

I'm finishing my undergrad in 3 years and straight through at the same time! All rejections so far... haha I guess I overestimated myself. :/

Nevertheless, I think this is a humbling experience for me. I could only imagine how cocky I would be if I got into PhD after 3 years of college.

Not to sound pretentious or anything, but I finished my undergrad in 2.5 years. :x I went to a community college (couldn't afford state university) and then transferred to a university. I was lucky to get into a few PhD programs. I think why I was accepted was a mixture of my GPA, nice verbal GRE (math was average) and having written a paper that I presented at a conference.