GPA calculations during application review

EffNine

Hi Folks,

Quick question: How do they calculate gpa during the application review? For example, If you have your undgrad GPA, plus 3-4 classes from assorted institutions (some grad some undergrad), do they calculate them together to give you one overall GPA, or do they look at them all separately.

I'd like to know to figure out whether or not it is worth it to take more undergrad or even a few grad to boost my low GPA of 3.1.

thanks

That depends on the school and the department. Some of the programs I applied to wanted my total GPA for all undergraduate courses, regardless of institution (yes, even that one night class at a community college that was completely unrelated to my major); others asked me to calculate a GPA for the last two years/60 credits of study; still others wanted my GPA for all courses in the major.

Your best bet is to contact the program(s) to which you're considering applying.

As I am an international, I left the GPA blank most of the time, or put something like 00 in it. Not that it necessarily helps in your case, but I assume that the GPA is not that important if you send in a transcript.I agree with sareth though, you'd better ask the department what they want you to put in.