LOR from Post-Doc

mtorred8213

Currently, I have two letters of recommendation that are from professors that have been able to gauge my research potential. From what I understand, this is what programs look favorably upon. The problem is that I need one more LOR, the only person I feel safe with writing such a letter would be a post-doc student that I've been working with.

My question: I feel like this would be the best person that could help me out with a recommendation letter, but will the fact that he is a post-doctoral student, rather than an actual professor, hurt the value of the LOR? I mean, I have no problem with asking for a letter from a professor whose class I did well in, but he/she wouldn't know how I perform in the lab.

Any input would be appreciated!

-Mick

Is this post-doc in the lab of a professor you're already getting an LOR from? If so, this could result in a lot of redundancy in their letters. You're better off getting a letter from just the professor of that lab (if possible, with input from the post-doc) and going elsewhere for the 3rd letter. It's fine if your 3rd letter doesn't attest to your lab abilities; most people do not have 3 professors who can all attest to a student's research ability.

I think it would be fine to have a letter from someone who you have actually worked alongside in the lab. I used four letters for applications that allowed it, with three being from PIs that I worked for and one being from a PhD student that I worked with in one of the labs (who has since graduated and gone on to work in industry). I think two letters from professors and one from a post-doc would be fine, though, assuming they all write well for you.

If you can get a meaningful letter from the prof of the course as well, I would do so and send four when you can.

My three letters were from two professors and one postdoc that worked with me. Everything worked out fine for me (in terms of interview invitations and admissions) so I think you'll be okay if you decide to get that third letter from a postdoc.

However, I do have to agree with krypton about the redundancy part. If your postdoc is just going to reiterate what your PI wrote then you might be better off getting a letter from a professor who might not be able to attest to your research abilities.

But if you really want to play it safe, why not get 4 letters? I think most schools allow more than 3 rec letters.