LSU for Philosophy?

EffNine

Hi folks,

Can anyone share any information about this program? funding? Professors you may know who have mentioned it? placement? And also how hard is it to get in, what's their acceptance rate?

The program seems to lean continental, which I prefer, from what I can see, unless someone were to tell me they know otherwise.

thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi folks,

Can anyone share any information about this program? funding? Professors you may know who have mentioned it? placement? And also how hard is it to get in, what's their acceptance rate?

The program seems to lean continental, which I prefer, from what I can see, unless someone were to tell me they know otherwise.

thanks for any help you can offer.

It's a horrible program! One that is, in fact, entirely committed to analytical philosophy. Oh, and the faculty is rather lack-luster. JK. Actually, from what I have heard, LSU is supposed to be one of the finest intuitions to obtain an MA in philosophy from a “continentally-committed” faculty. (But don’t tell too many people—I still want a chance of getting in!) The only thing I'm not sure about is placement. However, the last day to apply for funding is February 15.

http://www.artsci.lsu.edu/phil/philo/philo_fac.htm

http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/louisiana-state-university-and-agricultural-and-mechanical-college-college-of-arts-and-sciences-department-of-philosophy-and-religious-studies-admissions-000_10030653_10088.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

As a cultural-intellectual historian who has been accepted into LSU's program for Fall 2012, I am very interested in any additional information that anyone (perhaps an insider?) could provide. I would really like to do interdisciplinary work with the philosophy department. This is something that I will look into more closely before I accept or decline LSU's offer, but is LSU's philosophy department open to interdisciplinary students?

Edited by grlu0701

• 3 weeks later...

I graduated from LSU's MA program in the quite recent past, so I can speak with some authority on it, if it's any help. Money, if it's the same as it was (I believe it is), is $10,500/yr. Not a lot. And you'd think Baton Rouge would be cheap, and it's cheaper than many big cities, but not as cheap as you'd expect. You can pay your way...attrition seemed a bit higher for those who did so. There are normally 5 or so grad assistants, with grading and office hour responsibilities only. You might teach a review session or a single class, but nothing crazy.

The quality of the education depends greatly on how much you put into it. For example, only two professors showed any proactive interest in my applying to graduate programs, and one of those occurred after admissions season was over (this excludes letter writers, who I asked, but I'm talking about professors asking about where I was applying, what my goals were, etc). The professors are, by and large, very knowledgeable. There are two or three who aren't as good as they could be for a few reasons (not being around much, having very low expectations, teaching the same sort of classes without pushing themselves to do something new), but those are the exception. There are strengths in continental, to be sure, but I would say that's less so now. New hires have strengths in analytic ethics, analytic legal philosophy, analytic metaphysics, etc. One could easily make it through the program never taking more than one or two continental or analytic classes, depending on their preference (though that sounds like a myopic way to get an education to me). Jeff Roland is an excellent lecturer in both logic and philosophy of science. Jon Cogburn is a model of open-minded love of wisdom who I'd strongly recommend speaking with (and who seems to have interests in just about everything). Outside of the department, I only took classes with John Protevi in the French department, who specializes in contemporary French philosophy, and has high standards and is very good.

A flaw in the department is that, if it were more strongly integrated and there was more interaction between professors, it would be a great department; as it is, I'd say it's good. There is some interaction, and maybe it's gotten better in the past couple years, but I didn't get the sense of vibrant philosophical conversation between faculty that I think would lift the department up to a new level.

If you have other questions I didn't address, just ask. I'm happy to give a fair assessment.

As a cultural-intellectual historian who has been accepted into LSU's program for Fall 2012, I am very interested in any additional information that anyone (perhaps an insider?) could provide. I would really like to do interdisciplinary work with the philosophy department. This is something that I will look into more closely before I accept or decline LSU's offer, but is LSU's philosophy department open to interdisciplinary students?

I can't really speak to this, except that we had a couple people working toward MA's in philosophy that were studying in the English and History departments. That said, they weren't exactly interdisciplinary...they were just earning an MA while also earning PhD's in other departments. I'd speak with the department to get a sense of what they'd be open to.

philos,

Thanks for the great information. Given that there are no survey results posted for LSU, can you give us a potential time when you feel we should expect to hear back from the department concerning our Fall 2012 applications?

philos,

Thanks for the great information. Given that there are no survey results posted for LSU, can you give us a potential time when you feel we should expect to hear back from the department concerning our Fall 2012 applications?

I'm afraid I can't help you there. I can tell you, in terms of placement, that one recent graduate ended up at Washington University in St. Louis, one (I think) at Tulane, and another is waiting to hear from the rest this year but has been accepted to a mid-ranking department. The majority do not get placed. A number (probably a majority) of graduates, however, don't pursue PhD's, so it'd be a bit misleading to take that too seriously.

FYI for those waiting to hear back from LSU, they just emailed me. I've accepted an offer elsewhere, so I'll be declining. Good luck.

• 3 years later...