University of Hawaii-Manoa. Anyone?

danil

Hi.

I actually got my first acceptance letter from UH, so I'm not entirely sure I'll be attending,

but it definitely is one of my top choices, given they offer me a nice financial package as well. :)

I just noticed there were no posts for UH in previous years, and was wondering if there were anyone else

heading to Oahu come Fall.

Anyone? :)

First, 'aloha!

Are you from Hawai'i or have you lived there? There's a psychological element to moving to Hawai'i that doesn't exist in most other places. A lot of people who move there from the mainland (whether for work, school, or retirement) find out they can't handle living that far from anywhere else. Hawai'i is the second-most distant place from any other landmass in the world (the first is Easter Island). I've known several people who went to U of H for a year and bailed, not because of academics, but just because they felt trapped. Leisure activities in the islands revolve around the beach or the mountains. This is great for a vacation, but can you handle the next five years or so doing NOTHING but studying and surfing?

Not saying this to dissuade you, of course, as not everyone has this problem. I lived in Honolulu for years and loved it. But it's something extra to consider that might not be an issue at your other places.

I attended U of H as an undergrad for 2 semesters and really loved it. The island and weather is beautiful except during the rainy season. Be prepared for everything to be expensive - especially housing. Apartments are very difficult to find and they are much smaller than I was used to.

You may also find that food is expensive and some items are hard to get. The culture was so different for me - I'm from the East Coast and thus the slower pace drove me crazy! The school itself was lacking in funding so as an undergrad class rooms and dorms were not very well kept.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

BTW - CONGRATULATIONS

Thanks Dinali & Philmajor. :)

Those aspects are not something I haven't been aware of,

which is the reason I'm still debating with my other options, but thanks for your input!

I'll definitely be back with more questions if I decide on UH.

Good luck to you both as well. :)

Ahhh, I'm still waiting to hear back from them; they're one of my top choices. Congrats on your acceptance though! :mrgreen: That's awesome.

I'm interested in hearing about the community around there. What are the people like? How does the university interact with the tourism? What would be a liveable stipend to live on?

• 1 month later...

Hi! I've just been accepted to the PhD program in American Studies at UH. I'm really excited, but waiting to hear about funding opportunities. I'd be really interested in corresponding about housing, transportation, flying, etc. with anyone who is planning to accept their admission.

MAHALO! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Hi! I've just been accepted to the PhD program in American Studies at UH. I'm really excited, but waiting to hear about funding opportunities. I'd be really interested in corresponding about housing, transportation, flying, etc. with anyone who is planning to accept their admission.

MAHALO! :D

Aloha!

I was accepted to American Studies Phd as well. I am so excited about the possibility of living in Hawaii. :D

I for one haven't heard much about funding yet.

I emailed the grad director for Amstudies and hopefully will hear soon.

Seems like partial tuition remission and a GAship in future years (which amounts to full tuition remission) is most likely.

Jejijaime99- do you have any info on housing or finaid?

Chiyo--please contact me via personal messaging!!! I'm STILL waiting to hear about funding (and about to throw myself out of a window about it). Where did you get your MA? What are your housing plans? I've been looking heavily on craigslist & corresponding with 2 current doc students in the program. Where are you coming from? Are you 100% going to UH? Contact me! :D

I live in Hawaii right now, and I have to say I love it. I live on the Windward side, however, which does not have any sort of city feel. I just want to say that some of you may (or may not) experience some degree of culture shock when you move here. Hawaii doesn't feel like any other state in America. (I'm from PA and have lived in WA, CA-L.A., FL and HI and visited a lot of other states). It took me 6 months to a year to start feeling like this was home for me. My husband is in the Navy and we'll be leaving the island Dec 2010, but I love the culture and I know I'll miss it. The native traditions and the asian/hawaiian food (poi in the supermarket, sushi everywhere), the way everyone takes their shoes off when they go in a house, the awesome laid back attitude of people here, the focus on organic and clean living.. there also seems to be a spiritual element, too- I've met a lot of born again Christians/New Age types. I speak from experience living in Kailua, which may be a little different than Honolulu. The weather and the scenery are also amazing, of course. I can't count how many times we've driven around the bend by Hanauma Bay and just felt in awe of how gorgeous our home was. My explanation sounds lame, but I will tell you, I love it here. If you do come here and find it hard, at first, give it some time, I think you'll fall in love with it, too.

The only downside is the cost and distance to visit family on the mainland. It is also more expensive to live here, although I am lucky because we get to shop on base. I don't really have "island fever", though, and I still haven't done many of the activities offered here and I have been here for two years. I am excited for those of you who decide to come here!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use