PhD Applications to OISE, U of T

mitchsasha

Yes, I got the same email.

And you've been accepted... I'm going to go with the 'good sign' theory! Ha ha!

Chienkerwei, I applied to both SESE (well, future new department...) and CTL but I found out through the grapevine that my CTL contact has completely changed her research focus (no mention of this to me...) so I don't think that's going to work so well. Thanks for telling me!

SESE is my first choice, though! (at OISE, at least)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anybody who can help me to challenge this sign theory? kidding LOL :D

Ha ha, I'm sure it's probably because you are overseas or something... (if you are where your profile says you are). If it makes you feel better there was a thing on the bottom saying "everyone welcome" and "accomodation information." So pretty sure it had everything to do with a random mailing list and nothing to do with admissions.

Where else did you apply?

Is there anybody who can help me to challenge this sign theory? kidding LOL :D

Chienkerwei, did you apply to CTL? I didn't get the email but I also only applied to SESE. Maybe it went out to an email list of CTL applicants/accepts? Or because we live overseas...maybe...I don't know :unsure: Anyways, no news is good news right? It is just such a long wait...

Just heard good news from York Education via the myfile site.

Congrats about York! That is great news!

Edited by CKimberly

Chienkerwei, did you apply to CTL? I didn't get the email but I also only applied to SESE. Maybe it went out to an email list of CTL applicants/accepts? Or because we live overseas...maybe...I don't know :unsure: Anyways, no news is good news right? It is just such a long wait...

Congrats about York! That is great news!

I am relieved to hear it from CKimberly.HAHA. I only applied to SESE at OISE. I missed the deadine for other schools because I decided to start applying too late, after knowing I got a funding from my country.

wheatGrass, do you know if i can apply to the flex-time PhD program of SESE after being rejected for the full-time?

I am relieved to hear it from CKimberly.HAHA. I only applied to SESE at OISE. I missed the deadine for other schools because I decided to start applying too late, after knowing I got a funding from my country.

wheatGrass, do you know if i can apply to the flex-time PhD program of SESE after being rejected for the full-time?

chienkerwei, I think you should let OISE know that you've got your own funding (or you did already?).. it might help them make a more informed decison on your application. Good luck!

I think it will help that you have your own funding. I think what happens if you have your own funding is that you automatically go into a flex-time situation. I think flex-time is a euphemism for not funded by the department. I think. But for Canadians, the major grants won't be announced until after the OISE decisions are made, so they just have to admit everyone they want as fully funded students.

Hi,

I applied to the counselling psychology and school and clinical child psychology programs at OISE for 2012. Anyone applying to either of those two programs here? I know its very challenging to get in.. but im keeping my fingers crossed.. :wacko:

Hi Kimberly. No any news for SESE at all yet. As an international applicant, did you submit your toefl test score while applying? Acording to an email from SGS, "If the department to which you have applied is interested in your application and proof of English language proficiency is not available, you will be sent a letter inviting you to submit your scores at that time. This would usually be in March."

Will we get the result via email, phone or postal mail? What a long and anxious waiting!

I'm not sure - I am not actually an international student though, just working in Tanzania.

My husband got accepted to a different program at U of T last night and they emailed him the acceptance letter and said that a copy has been mailed as well. I am guessing that would be the norm for people overseas...

I'll let you know if I hear anything - hopefully this wait is over soon...I saw someone posted in a different thread that 11 out of 60 applicants were accepted last year...those odds don't seem too bad!

I am waiting very impatiently for SESE. I am thinking about emailing my POI there to see if she can give me any info on when I might hear. I already emailed the RO and they said that if you applied by Dec 1, you should hear by early April at the latest, but that some decisions have already gone out. The problem is, the SESE deadline wasn't til February or something, so I don't know if that means I have to wait longer?

UofT (OISE) is notoriously bad for notifying you after you've already heard from other uni's (e.g. UWO, Queen's, York... even McGill which is usually late as well). I've watched several friends play the waiting game with OISE before, and they all had to ask for acceptance extensions from their other options while waiting for OISE. I'd suggest that you all do the same (especially regarding Western or Queen's - they both tend to be the earliest for Education admits).

Surprisingly, I have already heard from McGill. I got, in but their funding was not great, even considering the low cost of living there. York sounded really strict about their acceptance deadline--on the phone they said it was the one thing they wouldn't budge on. I need to find not only an apartment but also a daycare with a subsidized spot, so I need to get on this!

Well, I got a "welcome, congratulations on your offer of admisison" mass email from the Dean at OISE. However, I have not yet received an offer. Hopefully it is on its way!

[Edited for clarity]

Edited by wheatGrass

I received the "welcome, Congratulations on your offer of admission" email today too. It is a bit confusing considering that I have not received my official acceptance yet. I appled to two programs: School and Applied and Developmental and Educational Psychology PhD programs. I am pretty sure that I got into the DPE program which was my second choice. Anyone have any feedback about the program?

Hey all..is this mass email you all have received for PhD programs or MA / Med programs? Just really worried coz i got no such email.. i applied to two masters programs.. :s i was really counting on oise :( but from all your profiles it looks like you all applied to the PhD program.. just wanted to confirm... from what i hear the PhD applicants hear back mid march and the Masters applicants hear back in mid april..keeping my fingers crossed that thats true :mellow:

Edited by dextermorgan