PhD Applications to OISE, U of T

mitchsasha

Hey all..is this mass email you all have received for PhD programs or MA / Med programs? Just really worried coz i got no such email.. i applied to two masters programs.. :s i was really counting on oise :( but from all your profiles it looks like you all applied to the PhD program.. just wanted to confirm... from what i hear the PhD applicants hear back mid march and the Masters applicants hear back in mid april..keeping my fingers crossed that thats true :mellow:

Hi dextermorgan, got this from the GradCafe Survey.

University Of Toronto / OISE Teaching, Masters (F12) Accepted via Other on 20 Mar 2012 21 Mar 2012

• Received on the same day both a letter in the mail (dated March 16) and an email from the dean. Good luck to everyone else!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my offer from OISE this morning... accepted in CTL but rejected from SESE. Disappointed but at least this makes my decision making process easier. Or does it?

Edited: read it too fast--Waitlisted for SESE, not outright rejection.

Edited by wheatGrass

Hi dextermorgan, got this from the GradCafe Survey.

University Of Toronto / OISE Teaching, Masters (F12) Accepted via Other on 20 Mar 2012 21 Mar 2012

• Received on the same day both a letter in the mail (dated March 16) and an email from the dean. Good luck to everyone else!

Hey ! Thanks for that..

It seems that those acceptances are for the teaching program. I applied to counselling and school and clinical child psychology.. i see only one person has said that they have been rejected to oise for counselling and another person has been accepted to the school and clinical child psychology program.. wonder who that is.. ahh!! looks like i may still have a chance at the counselling program..

Got my offer from OISE this morning... accepted in CTL but rejected from SESE. Disappointed but at least this makes my decision making process easier. Or does it?

Edited: read it too fast--Waitlisted for SESE, not outright rejection.

Congrats, wheatGrass! Which program in CTL have you been accepted into?

Congrats wheatGrass! That is great news - if you were waitlisted at SESE, there is still a good chance you could get in there as well! I think the prestige factor of OISE (U of T in general) will certainly help as you look for future teaching positions. However there are benefits about other (smaller) Canadian schools - like a closer knit faculty. I would for sure wait it out a bit to see what you here from SESE if that is your first choice!

So what do you think? Is it safe to say no mass email = no acceptance? I need to accept another offer soon...

I got my acceptance letter yesterday in the mail. I was accepted to the DPE program and rejected for the SCCP PhD program. Full funding. I'm torn because School Psychology is my dream program. I want to be a school psychologist. I got into U of Alberta to their School Psychology PhD program and will most likely go there. It seems hard to turn down OISE though. Funding and a great city...Anyone know anything about the DPE program?

• 3 weeks later...

As an OISE student, I think close knit relationships do exist in their graduate programs, but rather than departments being very well connected as a whole, there's little pockets of communities depending on your area of research. Depending on where those lines are getting drawn it can be comforting/alienating/both. It just depends on your needs.

Also the MA programs accept very few students. Last I recall, around 1-3. You're either offered full funding or no offer at all (I'm speaking specifically about AECD/SESE/CTL not the psych programs).

Edited by ltam

• 1 year later...

I am curious to know how to be accepted to OISE. How much GPA, TOEFL scores? How many years of working experience? Do I need to have publications in a top journal?

I am curious to know how to be accepted to OISE. How much GPA, TOEFL scores? How many years of working experience? Do I need to have publications in a top journal?

Publications, conference presentations, and experience are only going to strengthen your application for the program. However, it definitely comes down to who you're applying to, and if that professor has a spot. You can be ranked highly in the process, and have someone who was ranked lower than you get in because they applied with a professor who was taking students. 

I was accepted into the program without any conference presentations and publications. Research experience is definitely a must (although I didn't have any, my acceptance at the time was unique). From what I've seen, not many people accepted into the programs have many publications (if at all). But research experience is a huge plus! 

My GPA was a 3.8-4.0 in my last year. 

Publications, conference presentations, and experience are only going to strengthen your application for the program. However, it definitely comes down to who you're applying to, and if that professor has a spot. You can be ranked highly in the process, and have someone who was ranked lower than you get in because they applied with a professor who was taking students. 

I was accepted into the program without any conference presentations and publications. Research experience is definitely a must (although I didn't have any, my acceptance at the time was unique). From what I've seen, not many people accepted into the programs have many publications (if at all). But research experience is a huge plus! 

My GPA was a 3.8-4.0 in my last year. 

Thank you very much, the poster above. However, you applied for Master degree, right? How about Ph.D.? Do you know how to be accepted as a Ph.D. students and how many new Ph.D. students in each department each year? Thanks again!

Thank you very much, the poster above. However, you applied for Master degree, right? How about Ph.D.? Do you know how to be accepted as a Ph.D. students and how many new Ph.D. students in each department each year? Thanks again!

I did apply for the MA, and got in yes. For the PhD, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but they RARELY except external applicants. I've been there for 3 years, and I have yet to see an external applicant accepted into the PhD program. If they like a candidate enough, they offer them the MA instead. But I would not bank on getting into the PhD program directly at OISE. 

Hey ! Thanks for that..

It seems that those acceptances are for the teaching program. I applied to counselling and school and clinical child psychology.. i see only one person has said that they have been rejected to oise for counselling and another person has been accepted to the school and clinical child psychology program.. wonder who that is.. ahh!! looks like i may still have a chance at the counselling program..

Hi,

Just wondering if you ever heard back from OISE about the MA Counselling? I applied to this program as well, and was rejected, but accepted to MA Counselling Psych at Western. However I also got offered admissions to the MEd Developmental Psychology and Education at OISE which surprised me as I didn't even apply to this program, wondering if anyone else who applied to Counselling Psych at OISE has had this same offer.

Hi,

Just wondering if you ever heard back from OISE about the MA Counselling? I applied to this program as well, and was rejected, but accepted to MA Counselling Psych at Western. However I also got offered admissions to the MEd Developmental Psychology and Education at OISE which surprised me as I didn't even apply to this program, wondering if anyone else who applied to Counselling Psych at OISE has had this same offer.

That happened to a few people I know last year. They all applied to the MA Counselling program, and were offered an MEd in Developmental Psychology. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did apply for the MA, and got in yes. For the PhD, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but they RARELY except external applicants. I've been there for 3 years, and I have yet to see an external applicant accepted into the PhD program. If they like a candidate enough, they offer them the MA instead. But I would not bank on getting into the PhD program directly at OISE. 

What you say might be true. Finally, I got a rejection. I don't know the real reasons. My GPA is very high but my presentations, publications and statement of intents might be weak. Moreover, I am an international applicants and my TOEFL is only 97. Over 110 out of 120 TOEFL may required.

Edited by Manao