favorite art history book/reading

edoodle

sorry if there's been one of these threads; new to the forum. but so interested in what all of you have loved to read. my amazon wishlist needs updating. :)

so, what's the most amazing art history book you've ever read? why? can't wait to hear some answers!

(i'm particularly looking for writings on humor or just particularly beautiful writing styles. i need some inspiration!)

(or top 5! or... favorite article? ohhh, i'm so excited)

Favorite article: Caravaggio & Violence by John Varriano.

As far as my favorite art history book, there are simply too many to list. ;) I'll read anything by John Varriano, David Stone, Richard Spear and Philip Sohm (especially when they collaborate), James Elkins (even though I don't always agree with him), and Irving Lavin to name a few.

I really enjoyed Old Masters, New World: America's Raid on Europe's Great Pictures by Saltzman. It's about the founding of the Met and how they built up their collection. There was another book I read not too long ago on Isabella Stuart Gardner that was excellent too.

I don't know if I could really call this a favorite yet since I've only read chapters (need more time to get all the way through!) but How Buildings Learn by Brand is a really interesting look at how buildings change over time.

Articles- "To End a Continent" by Treib is THE quintessential article for my favorite building (the Salk Institute by Kahn). It provides an amazing overview of the building and the evolution of the design + landscaping with beautiful illustrations.

I could probably go on but I'll restrain myself. :)

As far as my favorite art history book, there are simply too many to list. ;) I'll read anything by John Varriano, David Stone, Richard Spear and Philip Sohm (especially when they collaborate), James Elkins (even though I don't always agree with him), and Irving Lavin to name a few.

Ooh, good list of authors!

Admittedly broad list, in no particular order:

* Johnathan Crary (roughly everything). Lots of looking at looking.

* Jacques Barzun, From Dawn to Decadence: 500 Years of Western Cultural Life. Ridiculously broad, unfashionable methodology, but oh, what a pleasure to read!

* Vanessa Schwartz and Jeannene Przyblyski, The Nineteenth-Century Visual Culture Reader. Baudelaire, Benjamin, Crary, Clark, Tony Bennet, and on and on.

* Gaston Bachelard, The Poetics of Space. Tiny, beautiful, and more than a little magical.

* Michel Foucalt, Discipline and Punish; The Birth of the Clinic. Although I'm no Foucauldian, my fascination with where his arguments go eclipses my frustration with having to fact-check his claims.

* Steven Conn, Museums and Intellectual Life 1876-1926. Haven't yet finished his Do Museums Still Need Objects but I have really liked the parts I've read.

* Ivan Karp and Steven Levine, Exhibiting Cultures: The Poetics and Politics of Museum Display. Great article by Barbara Kirshenblatt-Gimblett.

* Old childhood favorite: Edith Hamilton, The Greek Way. Likely hopelessly outdated, it's still sitting on my shelf (with its Roman companion). It might be time for a pleasantly nostalgic revisit.

I should also mention that I'm enjoying pretty much everything that I'm currently reading. This includes:

* Barbara Maria Stafford, Artful Science: Enlightenment Education and the Eclipse of Visual Education. This was a gift, and while I'd prefer to read some of her more current work after having collaborated with scientists, it's a fascinating read all the same.

* Sarah Burns, Painting the Dark Side: Art and the Gothic Imagination in Nineteenth-Century America. Sort of embarrassed I haven't gotten around to reading this until now.

* 2008 Spring/Summer issue of American Studies on Aaron Douglas.

Oh, shoot - I really should end things here but I MUST note Carla Yanni's work about institutional architecture. Good stuff!

I can't believe I didn't see this until just now! John Varriano taught at my undergrad, and I was fabulously lucky to have been able to have taken several courses with him. He's retired now (my loss--he retired JUST before I was ready to write my honors thesis in his area of expertise :( ), but he was a SPECTACULAR teacher and such a dynamic scholar. His wife is the curator of the art museum at the same school. I did a curatorial internship with her and she is a lovely person and very smart and creative scholar as well.

Varriano is literally my favorite instructor ever. I just needed to sing his praises a bit further!

Varriano is literally my favorite instructor ever. I just needed to sing his praises a bit further!

this is exactly why i started this thread. :) in grad school i realize that you hear straight up criticism (constantly) and rarely hear praise of any kind-- very rarely praise for other's work, and almost never praise for your own work. trying to change that for at least my students. it's necessary to hear nice comments!

and just because i haven't praised any work... i straight up love Carrie Lambert Beatty's essay on Parafiction and Plausibility...and Douglas Crimp's writings on the museum.

I can't believe I didn't see this until just now! John Varriano taught at my undergrad, and I was fabulously lucky to have been able to have taken several courses with him. He's retired now (my loss--he retired JUST before I was ready to write my honors thesis in his area of expertise :( ), but he was a SPECTACULAR teacher and such a dynamic scholar. His wife is the curator of the art museum at the same school. I did a curatorial internship with her and she is a lovely person and very smart and creative scholar as well.

SO jealous. I wanted to work with him in grad school but if memory serves me correctly Mount Holyoake doesn't have a graduate program in art history. He is literally my favorite scholar.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'll admit to this fact: I know almost nothing about 20th century and contemporary art. It's a field I've been able to ignore almost my entire life and outside the works I deal with in my museum's collection, I haven't had the time or interest to learn any more about it. So, now that I'm well out of school and pursueing a higher degree - I feel it's time to buckle down and get to some reading.

Does anyone have any suggestions about some great reading material? I'll take anything: general 20th century textbooks, gender/queer theory, introduction to the field, etc. I'd be most appreciative.

Has anyone read Peter Robb's "M" and liked it? I read it and even used small bits in my thesis but I admit it is deeply flawed. It was just so *interesting* what with Robb's writing style and over-dramatic descriptions. Still. Liked it. Just hoping that doesn't put me out the door in the art history community ;)

Does anyone have any suggestions about some great reading material? I'll take anything: general 20th century textbooks, gender/queer theory, introduction to the field, etc. I'd be most appreciative.

The two-volume set Art Since 1900 (by Hal Foster, Rosalind Krauss, Benjamin Buchloh, and Yve-Alain Bois) would be a great place to start. It's pretty dense, quite comprehensive, and just an all-around good investment.

The two-volume set Art Since 1900 (by Hal Foster, Rosalind Krauss, Benjamin Buchloh, and Yve-Alain Bois) would be a great place to start. It's pretty dense, quite comprehensive, and just an all-around good investment.

I have this! I was going to recommend it too ^_^ It's awesome. A lady in my church gave it to me for free one day... happy day.

Read Gender Trouble. Regardless of your era, it will probably come into play sooner or later.