Brandeis

avee

A tiny school like Brandeis usually accepts only two or three people a year. At a place like that, stats matter even less than usual and fit probably matters even more. If Brandeis is your top choice, I would email them and tell them that (be honest about where else you were accepted of course). Because they only two or so spots a year, they're probably going to have offers to two or so people at a time. However, if one declines, they're more likely to use their waitlist and if you're excited about going there, you should definitely see if you can't make sure you're at the top of the waitlist.

• 2 weeks later...

@avee, have you heard anything from Brandeis regarding your waitlist?

No, and after the Eastern's this weekend I am really hoping even more that I am accepted. They said I'd be contacted soon, so I hope so, so much it is good news for me. Did you apply, and have you heard anything from the program?

I have official rejections from MIT and Harvard. It's been nothing but silence from the other programs I applied to, and I am definitely certain I was declined at NYU. What about you?

I don't know--I feel as though the Eastern's opened my eyes regarding program application. I applied to incredibly different programs, when I should have been focusing more on specifically who I want to work with and why. During the time of the application process I was in between the current research I conduct, and wanting to further extend into other areas of research. After the Eastern's, I realize that I need to stick with my focus and expand on that--network with the people who do similar research. If I don't get into anywhere this app. cycle, I am fine with actually taking a year off to conduct research and present my intent clearer. Plus, I want to be somewhere that benefits me and my research!

I applied only based on fit with someone or the overall program. So far, I've only gotten into UConn and Louisville. Rejected from UCSB and Indiana. Still have a few to hear from, and certainly rejected from a whole bunch. My topic is really specific, so even if a program had had previous students do similar research or someone who does related things, I can see that I might not be the best candidate for most of the programs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...