UT Austin: Curriculum and Instruction/Cultural Studies in Ed. Ph.D

turkeyteacher

I have seen a few acceptances over the past several days for C&I (and past few weeks for Cultural Studies in Ed.) and I am wondering if anyone has any additional news regarding number of admits, timeline for the acceptances, etc. I have applied only for the Curriculum and Instruction Ph.D, but my POI and several other professors take on graduate students in both areas so I have included both, since slots are filling up from both concentrations.

My online status on the website still says "In Review," so as of now I am still in the game, but I have to say that seeing acceptances on the Results Survey is making me anxious (ok, obsessive) regarding when my status will be disclosed to me.

Congrats to those who have been admitted!

Hi I am one of the acceptances, unfortunately I don't know anything about their process. What I can say is that I found out a few days before the online system generated the automated email because the status was updated on the page. In order to see it I actually had to click on the link where it says application is complete. I also applied on the earlier side (before the nov 15 funding deadline). Sorry I can't be more helpful, but GOOD LUCK to you!!

Thanks for the update bnmca2012! It's good to know that I'm looking in the right place on MyStatus. I too applied before the Nov. 15th deadline for funding, but I am guessing that much of the timing discrepancies have to do with POI's??? Anyways, at least I know that I'm not checking obsessively for no reason! This is one of my top choices so thanks for your time and for the good wishes!

wildviolet, thanks for the update as well and the best of luck to you. My emphasis is Curriculum Theory/Cultural Studies, but when I hear anything I will try to remember to post on this topic thread as well as the Results Survey.

Edited by turkeyteacher

Thanks for the update bnmca2012! It's good to know that I'm looking in the right place on MyStatus. I too applied before the Nov. 15th deadline for funding, but I am guessing that much of the timing discrepancies have to do with POI's??? Anyways, at least I know that I'm not checking obsessively for no reason! This is one of my top choices so thanks for your time and for the good wishes!

wildviolet, thanks for the update as well and the best of luck to you. My emphasis is Curriculum Theory/Cultural Studies, but when I hear anything I will try to remember to post on this topic thread as well as the Results Survey.

Thanks!

Good luck to you. It's not a top choice for me, in terms of my sub-field, but I hear very good things about Austin.

• 2 weeks later...

Accepted! Checked the website today (March 1). No email to check the website. No word from the department either. Sigh. Are they that busy? Can't even send a "Hello, welcome to UT Austin"? Maybe I've been spoiled by all the cordial and supportive correspondence from MSU.

Accepted! Checked the website today (March 1). No email to check the website. No word from the department either. Sigh. Are they that busy? Can't even send a "Hello, welcome to UT Austin"? Maybe I've been spoiled by all the cordial and supportive correspondence from MSU.

Hey Wildviolet - I was accepted into the Curriculum and Instruction program as well. I happened to log on and check one day, and there was the acceptance! A few hours later, I received an email informing me to check the website, which gave more info. Today I received an email from the department with more info. I hope this helps! Let me know if you might accept their offer of admission; so far, it is my main prospect, so I would love to connect if we both attend!

Are they that busy? Can't even send a "Hello, welcome to UT Austin"? Maybe I've been spoiled by all the cordial and supportive correspondence from MSU.

Wildviolet,

Congratulations. I was accepted in Cultural Studies in Ed. at UT awhile ago and there was about a two week lag between the acceptance from the graduate school, and communication

from the department directly. In that email, there was no mention of a funding offer, and I have been led to believe there is no official visit/recruitment weekend at the moment.

I have no idea what accounts for the minimal communication. Every school/department is different.

If anybody else, however, has heard about funding (particularly in CSE) I'd love to hear...

c.o.

Hey Wildviolet - I was accepted into the Curriculum and Instruction program as well. I happened to log on and check one day, and there was the acceptance! A few hours later, I received an email informing me to check the website, which gave more info. Today I received an email from the department with more info. I hope this helps! Let me know if you might accept their offer of admission; so far, it is my main prospect, so I would love to connect if we both attend!

Hi 2012gradstudent! Congrats. :)

Yes, I'll definitely let you know if UT Austin works out for me. At this point, I'm trying to get as much information as I can, but it's pretty hard to do it all online. Have you visited the campus? What subfield are you in? I'm in Science Ed.

Hi 2012gradstudent! Congrats. :)

Yes, I'll definitely let you know if UT Austin works out for me. At this point, I'm trying to get as much information as I can, but it's pretty hard to do it all online. Have you visited the campus? What subfield are you in? I'm in Science Ed.

My subfield is Language and Literacy Studies. I live in Austin, so I'm somewhat familiar with the campus as well as the greater Austin area. Feel free to contact me if you want to know more about the city!

I GOT IN!!!! Woohooo! I had a long wait, but at least it's over! I still have some logistical factors that might decide where I go for me, but Austin was my #1 choice!!!

Thanks again to bnmca2012 and wildviolet for the information in this post. It prevented me from giving up hope!

I will let you all know if I attend as well!

I GOT IN!!!! Woohooo! I had a long wait, but at least it's over! I still have some logistical factors that might decide where I go for me, but Austin was my #1 choice!!!

Thanks again to bnmca2012 and wildviolet for the information in this post. It prevented me from giving up hope!

I will let you all know if I attend as well!

Congrats!

so has anyone heard about funding at all???? a date? I don't want to email and bother them, but I am getting to the final decision-making process and dates for intent are quickly approaching.

I have the contact sheet that came with my admission, but it doesn't specify anyone.

so has anyone heard about funding at all???? a date? I don't want to email and bother them, but I am getting to the final decision-making process and dates for intent are quickly approaching.

I have the contact sheet that came with my admission, but it doesn't specify anyone.

So, it is my understanding that most (if not all) fellowships have been allotted. If you were not notified, it is likely you were not awarded a fellowship.

There may be some other funding still available, but it is apparently quite competitive, and likely to go to people already in the program, not first years.

I've not received any official information about funding -- this is all through a POI in the program I was admitted to. I'm banking on being SOL, but you

never know.

c.o.