Environmental Microbio - Non-major help with plan B?

EdaxFlamma

Hey all,

I've been drifting around on the forums for a little while now and after holding back for a while, I'd like to ask for some input.

More or less as expected, my first round of applications is pretty much going to be a bust. I am guessing that this is partially due to the fact that I am applying for a Ph.D in Microbiology when I will be receiving a degree with distinction in Plant Science with a minor in Biochemistry. While it is true that my first love had been botany, after taking a grad level microbiology course, I was hooked and never wanted to turn back. Unfortunately, I quickly realized that my alma mater doesn't offer a Microbiology major and I would be unable to switch into just a general Biology degree by the time I had made the switch. So, while waiting for some lovely input from you all here in the forums, my goal is to find some kind of employment that will provide me with the qualifications to pursue a Ph.D in Microbiology (environmental).

Based on the fact that environmental microbiology is more or less confined to the realm of academia, at least at the into level, (if not I'd love some insider info) what kinds of job options do you think would provided the necessary experience? I have seen many in pharmaceuticals, quality control, and food QC but I'm not sure that is the path I should take. Yes it provides more experience in general microbiology but is that what the schools will be looking for?

While I feel as though I have a good amount of laboratory experience, I don't know that I have the specific experience graduate schools are looking for. I have had 3 years of general lab experience, first in a plant tissue culture lab, second in a USDA Plant Pathology Lab, and most recently working on my senior thesis on the topic of bioremediation.

Also, if graduate schools are having second thoughts about accepting me into their programs, are employers in the field of microbiology likely to think along the same lines?

*insert dramatic music here*

In all seriousness though, I welcome any kind of advice and/or input. Some of you have gone through similar shifts of interest and have been in the same position I'm sure. If you have and tidbits of insight I would be most appreciative.

Best wishes,

-EdaxFlamma

I don't think the transition from plant bio to micro should be such a problem. And my school, they have a even have a joint program department for these fields, Plant and Microbial Biology. The only weakness might be if you have no coursework in molecular biology or cell biology. I think more time in an academic lab will help anyone looking to reapply, for any reason. I would NOT narrow your focus in your search for a lab for your free year to only environmental micro, but any micro lab. Especially since you have plant bio experience, I'm sure labs that study pathogens of plans would be particularly interested in your resume.

Hope it works out, but it's pretty early to give up hope in your application already.

Edited by greenertea

I agree with greenertea -- that shouldn't be too problematic a switch. The trouble is that microbiology is supercompetitive. Many applicants to my school's program have work experience before they apply to grad school. My advisor when I was going through the application process thinks this is a bad development, and that programs essentially want you to be ready to go in a lab upon admission, rather than learning IN grad school (she started grad school with NO lab experience), but it seems to be the way things are now. I'd think your experience from school SHOULD be enough, but I've seen lots of applicants come through with full-time work experience for 1 or more years post-graduation.

@emmm - That's what I thought. I know a lot of people who took a year off specifically so that they would have the work experience going in. Unfortunate, but it may be a necessity.

@greenertea - I would have a lot more hope for my other programs but after being rejected from my super safety school, I need to seriously start considering other options. Albeit the fit wasn't so great, I'd still like to be prepared for the worst. It also doesn't help that my new found love is in the field of bioremediation and not Plant-Microbe interactions. While I have worked on them in the past and they were very interesting, I get more of a buzz from the biotech/environmental bio side of things.

All and all thanks for the help. :) I'll definitely keep my options open and check out some of these labs then. Gotta keep pushin' forward.

I mostly know academia...

Why not try approaching environmental microbio from an environmental point of view? My university has a couple of folks in the Env Eng department who do microbio, and they really do take anyone. I know several other universities at which this is true too.

This is something else I have seriously considered. When speaking to my advisers however, they thought I would have a better chance at the bio side of things mainly because I haven't taken any engineering classes save an industrial waste water treatment class. That being said, math has never been one of my strongest points and I as told I would most likely have to take a slew of courses such as fluid mechanics, etc. etc. Basically I don't feel like my application would be strong enough for Environmental Engineering.

I am by no means scoffing at this suggestion; I'm just unsure how to tackle the issue. Apply for Environmental Engineering, play with it for a year and then switch over to Micro under the guise of the same adviser? Somehow work the situation into my SoP?

Your lab experience seems pretty impressive to me and Plant Pathology, which deals very often with fungi and bacteria, should be a good match for many microbio programs. But I feel like you are wavering with yourself in what kind of research topic you are really interested. Maybe it would be also good to review your Statement of Purpose. If you give the reader of your Statement the impression there is a big chance that you change your mind in 1 or 2 years, the admission committee will be alerted, even if your overall qualifications are good. Since many people capitulate on their PhD after some time, programs often look for candidate who convincingly show that they are able to stand the 4-6 years required to get a PhD.

Hawelf- That may very well have something to do with it. Looking at my transcripts suggests I have changed my mind at least once during my undergrad years (dropped a Triple Language double major due to time constraints) not counting this shift to microbiology. For future applications I may want to make an extra effort to solidly show that microbiology is where I want to stay. I also feel as though my statement of purpose may have not been as tailored to SuperSafetyU (first rejection). This combined with a very low number of applications (SuperSafetyU, University of MiddleRoad and Reach) pretty much puts me where I am at the moment.