Funding decisions and budgets

evenstar

So I've been accepted at NC State for sociology and have a question for anyone in know about funding timelines regardless of school/discipline. I've been offered one but only if the funds are available...does anyone know when budgets are normally finalized and funding packages confirmed? I noticed someone had posted on the results page back on Jan 30 that they were also in at NCSU and funding was "TBD" so I'm guessing they sent this to everyone? Just trying to make sense of it all in the chaos of yayyyy acceptance. :)

Hi there,

I was accepted in early Feb. last year and found out about funding in early April. If you know you want to go to that school, lobby the professor you would be working with by introducing yourself, being enthusiastic about their research, being enthusiastic about the program etc. etc. Don't ask stupid questions and keep it brief. Don't talk to them about money. Later, speak to the person in charge of the money, mention your enthusiastic conversation with so and so and then make it clear that you want to go to that school, it is your #1 program and you can't go unless they fund you. It worked for me. I had funding the next day. Good luck.