Appropriate way to inquire about app status?

jenjenjen

Hey guys, I was wondering if there were some definite dos and don'ts if I wanted to send out a few emails to the schools I haven't heard from yet. I've had no word from Duke, Michigan, or Yale, so I'm assuming all these are rejections. Buuuut I'd really like to have a notification of rejection in my hand (inbox) just so I can firmly put these schools behind me and focus on my next steps. I don't want to come off as overly pushy or like I'm making assumptions though. Anyone want to shoot me an example of something that worked for them? Or do you all think I should just keep quiet and wait it out?

I've gotten the impression that it's too early to start inquiring. Some websites I've seen say explicitly don't ask until at least March 15.

But if it's really, really stressing you out... I would say screw it and email the administrator associated with the graduate program, not a professor. I'm sure if you're friendly and earnest it won't be an issue.

I've gotten the impression that it's too early to start inquiring. Some websites I've seen say explicitly don't ask until at least March 15.

But if it's really, really stressing you out... I would say screw it and email the administrator associated with the graduate program, not a professor. I'm sure if you're friendly and earnest it won't be an issue.

2nd that. The admin in the department, despite how nice they are, I would say it would not effect you to piss them off a bit by asking too early. They have 0% decision making in the selection process and the worst they could say is "No, you have to wait".

Word thanks guys. I guess I'll try and rediscover some patience...

Agh! Seriously.

Although, if I break down by the end of next week and happen to email someone in admin... I won't feel bad because of this thread. I can't help my impatience. Maybe I'll try to hold off until March 10...