Question about offer

attrapereves

I applied to an MA program and I heard back from one of my preferred schools and they offered me 0.3FTE, teaching one freshman level course. The letter did say that the amount could increase up to 0.5FTE for the spring. There is also a tuition waiver included, and I will only be required to pay a small amount of fees (around $400 per semester). The teaching assistantship stipend equates to about $1050 per month before taxes.

Is this a good offer?

Also, do most first year MA students receive 0.5FTE, or less? I guess I was expecting a little bit more money per month, or at least 0.5FTE.

It's $1050 per month on 0.3FTE. I'm assuming that will increase to $1200-1400 for 0.5FTE, as long as I get awarded 0.5 for the following semester.

It seems like average apartment prices around there run $450-550/month. Either way, $1050 is about $200 more than I make now, but my current rent is only $400/month.

I'm still holding out for other offers, but I was just curious about how this compares to other program offers. I've only heard back from two other schools, but I already turned one down because I discovered that I would have to pay tuition out of pocket. The other school offered me basically the same amount (around $1000). I hope the other programs get back to be before March 23, because this program needs a decision from me by that date.

Also, when they refer to a teaching assistantship, does that mean that I will be teaching my own course or just be a graduate TA for a professor? I have very little teaching experience (only acting as a French tutor at the tutoring center on campus here), so I'm a bit nervous about being dumped directly into a course.

It's $1050 per month on 0.3FTE. I'm assuming that will increase to $1200-1400 for 0.5FTE, as long as I get awarded 0.5 for the following semester.

It seems like average apartment prices around there run $450-550/month. Either way, $1050 is about $200 more than I make now, but my current rent is only $400/month.

I'm still holding out for other offers, but I was just curious about how this compares to other program offers. I've only heard back from two other schools, but I already turned one down because I discovered that I would have to pay tuition out of pocket. The other school offered me basically the same amount (around $1000). I hope the other programs get back to be before March 23, because this program needs a decision from me by that date.

Also, when they refer to a teaching assistantship, does that mean that I will be teaching my own course or just be a graduate TA for a professor? I have very little teaching experience (only acting as a French tutor at the tutoring center on campus here), so I'm a bit nervous about being dumped directly into a course.

Teaching assistant (aka: TA) usually refers to assisting a professor, not independently teaching a course. Usually those who are independently teaching courses are called "teaching fellows" or "adjuncts" or "sessionals" "teaching scholars" or something other than TA (terminology varies between schools). I've never heard the term TA being equated with independently teaching a course.

Teaching assistant (aka: TA) usually refers to assisting a professor, not independently teaching a course. Usually those who are independently teaching courses are called "teaching fellows" or "adjuncts" or "sessionals" "teaching scholars" or something other than TA (terminology varies between schools). I've never heard the term TA being equated with independently teaching a course.

This may be the case for most disciplines, but I have never had or heard of someone being a teaching assistant in that capacity in a foreign language class. I've been offered teaching assistantships, some combined with fellowships, at the universities I've been accepted to and they all require independent teaching. You have mandatory training beforehand and are often observed/critiqued throughout your first year.

It's important to ask your prospective schools about teacher support though. Will you be responsible for creating your own syllabus? Are there resources for new teachers should you encounter any problems? What sort of training do you receive prior to and throughout your teaching?

Edited by papillon_pourpre

I just checked the letter and it is referred to a "graduate instructorship". That to me sounds like I will be teaching the French 101 course myself.

I will indeed ask about support. I've never designed lesson plans or a syllabus, so the thought of teaching a university course is a bit nerve racking at this point. I honestly assumed that I would be an assistant for the first semester or two, just helping a professor. However, the letter did state that I would have to take a course my first semester which should help with being a graduate instructor. It also stated that I'd be working close with fellow graduate students and professors.

into a course.

In that case, I take it back. Sounds like you are living somewhere amazingly cheap. A higher stipend somewhere else may actually be worth less.

This may be the case for most disciplines, but I have never had or heard of someone being a teaching assistant in that capacity in a foreign language class. I've been offered teaching assistantships, some combined with fellowships, at the universities I've been accepted to and they all require independent teaching. You have mandatory training beforehand and are often observed/critiqued throughout your first year.

It's important to ask your prospective schools about teacher support though. Will you be responsible for creating your own syllabus? Are there resources for new teachers should you encounter any problems? What sort of training do you receive prior to and throughout your teaching?

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that a TA doesn't do *some* independent teaching. I'm just saying that a TA isn't completely designing, delivering, evaluating, etc. the entire course as a regular prof would do. That's what a graduate teaching fellow does as the sole instructor.

attrapereves,

Since you've specified "graduate instructorship" it seems to me that you ARE going to be the sole instructor! It can be a daunting task, especially if you've had no teaching experience, but it's definitely do-able. Just make sure you get a lot of assistance ahead of time with the things you mentioned - syllabus creation, lesson planning, classroom management, etc. It's good to hear that you'll be taking a course to assist with the transition.

eta: You should check out the "Teaching" thread further down the forum to connect with others who are in similar circs, and say hello in the "Education" thread (way, waaaaaay down the forum!) to connect with education experts - most of whom have a ton of teaching experience in all kinds of fields (see you there!) :D

Edited by Andsowego