They're calling today and I'm freaking out. According to their site they take something like 12... I'm pretty sure I'm totally screwed at this point. My list might have been too top-heavy but still, this was one of my primo fit schools. Anyone else anxiously staring at their phone like me?

Right there with you. They were at the top of my list--perfect fit, would love to work with Virginia Jackson. But I think my GRE is probably a little low, since they seem to value that more than some others.

Definitely anxious to hear more.

Edited by rdsull89

Just received a "short wait list" email, a rather pleasant surprise at this point. I wants literati visiting professorz, to touch the garment of Thiong'o, etc...

Anyone else hear back?

Congrats!!! They have such a great program, especially for theory. Crossing my fingers that the waitlist works your way.

(I tried to "like" your post but apparently I've "reached my positive quote for the day." did not know that was possible and find it hilarious.)

Congrats!!! They have such a great program, especially for theory. Crossing my fingers that the waitlist works your way.

(I tried to "like" your post but apparently I've "reached my positive quote for the day." did not know that was possible and find it hilarious.)

Thanks! I'm big on theory and visual studies, both of which are definitely strengths. I've never been to California, but am totally meant for warmer weather. Would be tough being on other side of country as family, though. I can see we're both currently on the wait list precipice, though. Another month and a half of being on edge!

Hey All,

I, too, got a wait list email yesterday, though I just now put it up on the board. I promptly emailed the graduate program administrator back asking if she could give any information on how many were admitted, how long the wait list is, etc., but I haven't heard back.

One thing that I should have asked---and now I don't want to email again---is when the prospectives weekend will be. I suspect that, as wait listers, we won't hear much (or anything) until after that date.

Do any acceptees, wait listers, or insiders happen to have any more information?

As we all know, the waiting and the uncertainty can be excruciating, so any information can really be comforting.

Anyhow, best of luck to all!

Here's the email that I received back today from the graduate program administrator:

"Your situation on our waitlist will probably remain fairly fluid right up until the deadline and, unfortunately, it's very difficult to give any precise statement as to the probability that we'll make offers to those on the waitlist. The amount of students admitted from the waitlist varies each year! I can tell you that we have kept the waitlist shorter this year than the past, and we don't rank it. We wait until a student declines an offer, and then review those students on the waitlist.

We will notify you if a spot opens up."

This pretty much tells us what we already know, but I suppose it may provide some peace of mind.

I work primarily in British American modernism and am pretty theory-oriented, especially Marxism and psychoanalysis. I mostly work with fiction, so the history of the novel factors into my interests as well.

The fact that they don't rank their wait list suggests to me that, in the event that someone drops out, that person's field may factor largely into who is accepted off the wait list. Obviously that is just speculation though.

• 2 weeks later...

So this thread basically died over the past week. Anyone have any updates? Since this Irvine waitlist is my only potential option, I'm really curious as to whether other waitlisters have other offers and/or if any acceptees know of their plans yet...

Just trying to break the silence!

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd make one last attempt to resurrect this thread, since it's largely been me talking to myself...

I know Irvine's recruitment weekend just occurred and I'm just wondering if anyone who attended would like to share any thoughts or impressions? Anyone still contemplating an offer and leaning one way or the other?