UC Berkeley - Fall 2012 MSW Admissions

mswhopeful2012

Hey All,

I just got in!! My friend who is also CMH also just got in!! So stoked right now it's silly! And we're both UC alum from Ca! Good luck to everyone! Looks like they're shelling out more decisions today!

Also, would anyone mind sharing his/her thoughts on WHY Berkeley is a top choice?? I actually attended Cal as an undergrad, and I absolutely loved my experience there. I'm currently deciding between Berkeley and Columbia, and any input would be really helpful. Thank you!!

Berkeley is actually the only school I applied to, but it was also my top choice so I figured that I'd just go for it and cast my net wider next year if I didn't get in (thankfully I did!). I also was an undergrad there and also loved my experience, and that's definitely one of the reasons. The second is that I live in the bay area and did not want to move, I plan to keep working at my job part time and want to intern and eventually work in this area and could not afford to go out of state. The program I also hear is excellent and again, just love that campus and my experiences as a undergrad there and have friends who are currently students there so it just seemed perfect all around. I also have a friend who went to grad school at Columbia after Berkeley as an undergrad and loved both. Must be a tough decision for you! =)

Are acceptances rolling out this week only, or is there a possibility more will be sent out next week?

Starting to get nervous, I applied to the CFS concentration. I want to get into this badly, the wait is killing me!

Congrats to everybody that got in! :)

Are acceptances rolling out this week only, or is there a possibility more will be sent out next week?

Starting to get nervous, I applied to the CFS concentration. I want to get into this badly, the wait is killing me!

Congrats to everybody that got in! :)

I'm CFS as well, and I got an email response that decisions are going out this week and next week, so there is still time!

The wait is really the worst!

Thanks so much all! Yeah, my status didn't change either on my app website! Weird. And I think decisions will continue going out through next week. That's what I've heard from a few different sources. Also got into Columbia but I'm a CA girl and feel like their programs are fairly comparable! Good luck to everyone to still hasn't heard and congrats to everyone admitted! March friggin madness!

Congratulations everyone!!!! I am also an in-state CMH applicant and have not heard anything yet....seriously biting my nails here and have not done that in years.

I am biting my nails too waiting to hear back for the CMH concentration!! I had to log out of my email account just because I couldn't stop compulsively hitting refresh.

Hey guys, Melanie sent me an email saying that I'm recommended for admissions for the CMH program!!! Wow. Email send 12:19pm. I posted my stats in CSU East Bay and they're woeful...

If you haven't heard, hang in there! Good luck my fellow future social workers!!!

Hey guys, Melanie sent me an email saying that I'm recommended for admissions for the CMH program!!! Wow. Email send 12:19pm. I posted my stats in CSU East Bay and they're woeful...

If you haven't heard, hang in there! Good luck my fellow future social workers!!!

Congratulations!!!!!! That's really great news! I've especially found some of the comments you've posted entertaining so I'm especially happy for you! Yay, yay, yay!!!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!! :)

Congratulations!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am hoping to be in your cohort this fall.

Thank you guys for making this forum so awesome and each of your well wishes! I got some great advice and encouragment from all your posts.

Congratulations!!!!!! That's really great news! I've especially found some of the comments you've posted entertaining so I'm especially happy for you! Yay, yay, yay!!!!!!

I guess if this social work thing doesn't work out I can do stand-up comedy...hahah

CONGRATS!!!!! :)

Congratulations!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am hoping to be in your cohort this fall.

I hope so too :)

Congrats Congrats lologogo and ATohCe.24!! (and sorry if I missed anyone!) See you in the fall?!

Mapletree, CONGRATS!!! What concentration are you?!

Thank you! :) I applied to Community Mental Health.

Out of curiosity...for those of you who've been accepted already - did you apply early, middle, or late?

I applied on Dec 16th.

An update from my earlier post on stats, with more details on experience:

What got me waitlisted last year:

- 4 months with AmeriCorps working at a youth center that serves foster and homeless youth, a research internship at an alternative high school, a summer internship supporting low-income SF residents with resumes and housing searches, a semester tutoring prisoners through Cal's Teach in Prison program, part of a summer teaching English in rural China as part of a poverty alleviation program, other miscellaneous volunteering in the Bay Area, and a semester as a peer counselor (not at Berkeley). All of this combined was approximately 7 months of full-time work.

What got me accepted this year:

All of the above, but this time I had 1 year of AmeriCorps experience working with foster youth at the youth center (with an emphasis in supporting youth in furthering their educational goals) and another 6 months working with the same agency as a non-AmeriCorps. My GPA and GRE scores did not change, but I wrote better essays this year and submitted an additional 2 letters of recommendation.

I'm really interested in working with youth in an educational setting. I hope to someday become a school counselor or something in that capacity. A lot of the youth I've worked with have mental health issues, and I figured the more I know, the more useful I can be in supporting them. I hope the rest of you waiting to hear back are surviving okay. I seriously hope you all get in!!

Edited by mapletree

I'm working on a google docs spreadsheet that shows the people who have been admitted so far and their stats. Anyone with the link can edit it, so please feel free to add your own info, change details, or remove info if you don't want to be on it. Here it is: https://docs.google....eGF3dkJCejVySHc

I'm not too confident about what kind of conclusions we can draw from such a small sample. It does look like they are dealing with California residents first and like people who went to UCs.

PS. If you click on the document, you will be anonymous. "​If a document is set by the owner to be viewable or editable by everyone, then Google Docs doesn't show the names of those who choose to view or edit the document. Google Docs displays only the identities of people who are explicitly given permission to view or edit a document (either individually or as part of a group). People who are not given explicit access are labeled Anonymous user."

Edited by mapletree