UC Berkeley - Fall 2012 MSW Admissions

mswhopeful2012

Thank you mapletree and bellabear for sharing your thoughts! And congrats for everyone who was offered admission to Cal!

As for my stats:

Undergrad: Went to Cal for my undergrad and doubled in psychology and rhetoric.

GPA: 3.62

GRE: V-600/Q-530/AW-4.5 (I was pretty disappointed with my writing score considering the fact that I was a rhetoric major and wrote essays upon essays! I don't think this section reveals anything about anyone's writing skills to be honest.)

LoRs: Strong. 1 from a professor at Cal and another one from a Cal alumn. The third was from the head director at the school that I'm working for right now.

SOP: I tied in/specifically stated the professors whom I wanted to work with and why, and how my experiences/goals align with their work. I think this might have been helpful in their evaluation of my app?

Research/lab experience: 4 years education and psych related.

Work Experience: 2 years working with students and teaching at a public elementary school in Seoul, South Korea while volunteering at an orphanage. I also volunteer and teach students in a small village near the DMZ. I'm interested in school social work so it's been a really great learning experience :]

I think that's about it! Thanks to everyone who provided stats as well!

Edited by JM12

congrats to all of you getting into Cal! That's amazing!!!

my question is.. did any of you apply as an msw/ph.d applicant? or did you apply only as an msw?

I'm still shell-shocked. I would have been ecstatic with being wait-listed...

I applied last day and only to the MSW. I imagine the process for the msw/ph.d review is probably more intense and drawn out.

Thanks to mapletree, JM12 and others who contributed to the spread-sheet. Its a wonderful idea that provides more transparency into Berkeley rigorous review process.

Edited by ATohCe.24

Thanks for the document mapletree!! Great resource. Congrats to everyone do far! I promised myself I wouldn't look at this all weekend, so for those of you who got in, have fun celebrating and for those of us who don't know yet, go have fun distracting yourself! As for me, I'll be distracting myself with volunteering at a 5k race and some other fun things! Have a good weekend everyone!

Thanks team for the congrats. And to answer some of the questions I saw posted...

-went to UCSB (go gauchos!) and majored in psych

-3 years of psych lab experiences (UCSB, SF State, UCSF)

-2.5 years working with homeless/at-risk youth at nonprofit (mostly in SF)

-applied on dec. 15th, and not a day earlier...

good luck to everyone!! they seem to be going out in waves so keep your hopes up! for everyone who's heard back, see you at Cal!

I also applied on December 16th, I think about 12 hours before the deadline, so it looks like the timeline for acceptances have nothing to do with time you applied.

Thank you everyone for all of the supportive comments! I am impressed by how positive everyone is being during all the stress of waiting.

As an undergrad, I worked as a kind of junior admissions officer intern, and I got to contribute to admissions decisions. Some of the easiest "denies" were students who clearly hadn't really been thoughtful about their decisions to apply, why our school would be a good fit, etc. When I was nervous, I tried to remind myself that the 700 number probably includes some people who really haven't thought it out and applied more on a whim, and the pool of people who really were purposeful about the application was smaller. I have a feeling that the dedication and passion it takes to be so invested here probably showed in everyone's applications, and that there will be a higher acceptance rate in the subsection of applicants who are represented on this board.

I just got an email that I got waitlisted. At least it is better than denied! They said there is about a 30% chance of getting in off the waitlist.

I'm in CFS, and this is my top choice so I let them know that I definitely want to stay on the waitlist!! If anyone is CFS and decides to not go- please let them know sooner rather than later!

After all this tough waiting, looks like I just need to wait some more- but hopefully it'll be worth it!

Congrats again to all who got in, and I hope to see you next year!

P.S. I'm out of state

Thanks JM12 and lologogo for stats, and congrats tschuss for getting waitlisted! I say congrats because I had the same mentality as you last year: "At least it's better than being denied!"

Thank you also to all the people who have filled in more info for the google doc spreadsheet. It's a lot more detailed today than yesterday. I think waitlisted people should go on there too (with a note), since they are are kind of in limbo and could potentially get in. Also, I added the column "attending?" to see who is actually accepting their offer! Finally, I will try to put the link to the document in my signature (if that's possible) for easy access.

Edited by mapletree

I'm in the same boat, tschuss, I just got an email informing me I'm on the wait list as well. :(

The email didn't mention anything about the MSW/PhD program, because that is what I originally applied for, but I guess since I didn't even get into the MSW program, then I'm definitely not in for the MSW/PhD. which makes me even more sad :(

Oh well... I will put myself on the wait list and I guess it will just be more waiting...

Now it's time to try convince folks who got in to NOT attend Berkeley: You know, I hear the Bay Area isn't even that great, and I hear that Berkeley is a bit overrated and very liberal, and isn't it time for folks who are from CA to expand their winds and go to an out-of-state school? :)

JUST KIDDING! Congrats again to those that got in, and I hope, hope, hope, I'm lucky enough to be your future colleague. :)

I'm in the same boat, tschuss, I just got an email informing me I'm on the wait list as well. :(

The email didn't mention anything about the MSW/PhD program, because that is what I originally applied for, but I guess since I didn't even get into the MSW program, then I'm definitely not in for the MSW/PhD. which makes me even more sad :(

Oh well... I will put myself on the wait list and I guess it will just be more waiting...

Now it's time to try convince folks who got in to NOT attend Berkeley: You know, I hear the Bay Area isn't even that great, and I hear that Berkeley is a bit overrated and very liberal, and isn't it time for folks who are from CA to expand their winds and go to an out-of-state school? :)

JUST KIDDING! Congrats again to those that got in, and I hope, hope, hope, I'm lucky enough to be your future colleague. :)

Haha I completely understand that feeling! I was just thinking back to the CFS admittee who was wondering if they should go to Columbia of Berkeley. I personally have to vote Columbia!

Rjose- I would call admissions and ask about the MSW/PhD thing, maybe there is still hope!

hi, I've been following this thread for a bit because I was nervous and freaking out about admissions too! Got e-mailed today and got waitlisted for CFS. Beep bop boop : / disappointed, but still hopeful!

thanks for the spreadsheet you guys it was informative and stressed me out. haha :)

from what it seems, a lot of admits who heard already are Cal alumni... don't know if that means anything to anyone but that kind of calmed my nerves. I know schools like to give their alumni and family members priority and with respect for Cal alumni, I'll wait my turn to hear back from them... even if it means i go bald this weekend.

congrats everyone that got waitlisted as well. Don't lose hope and at least you heard back!!

Congrats rjose, mikaful and Jenna for for getting on the waitlist. You all seem very qualified from your stats! Part of the admission email from Melanie said this:

"Lastly, we would like to respectfully request that you make your decision as soon as possible. The School of Social Welfare experienced a surge in the number of well-qualified applicants resulting in a long waitlist of applicants we would like to offer admission to if we have a space open up. If you have concerns about making your decision before April 15th, please feel free to contact me."

Hopefully admits will decide quickly, before April 15th, and you'll hear back earlier. Good luck!!

mapletree, I never thanked you for the spreadsheet, but I find it extremely helpful and wanted to make sure I said thanks, and of course thanks to all those who are willing to share their information. :)

For those who are on the wait list, I had some time to really think about my situation over the weekend because I'm not sure what to do moving forward since Berkeley was my top choice and I was thinking of either biting the financial bullet and going to Penn or continue working at my awesome research job, take some extension classes at UCLA to raise my GPA, and apply to Berkeley again, anyone else start to think of applying again or what their plans are moving forward?

Mapletree - thank you for the spreadsheet! It is really helpful. I stayed away from this thread over the weekend....my nerves needed a break. :)

Congrats to everyone that got in/waitlisted over the weekend!

As for me, I am back to waiting (latte in hand also). Does anyone have an idea when they will let those who didn't get in know, or update our status on the application page?

Mapletree - thank you for the spreadsheet! It is really helpful. I stayed away from this thread over the weekend....my nerves needed a break. :)

Congrats to everyone that got in/waitlisted over the weekend!

As for me, I am back to waiting (latte in hand also). Does anyone have an idea when they will let those who didn't get in know, or update our status on the application page?

I stayed away as well to give my nerves a break! (latte not in hand)... Back to waiting! (out of state)

Congrats to everyone!!

mapletree, I never thanked you for the spreadsheet, but I find it extremely helpful and wanted to make sure I said thanks, and of course thanks to all those who are willing to share their information. :)

For those who are on the wait list, I had some time to really think about my situation over the weekend because I'm not sure what to do moving forward since Berkeley was my top choice and I was thinking of either biting the financial bullet and going to Penn or continue working at my awesome research job, take some extension classes at UCLA to raise my GPA, and apply to Berkeley again, anyone else start to think of applying again or what their plans are moving forward?

I've decided that I am definitely moving to the Bay area anyway for personal and professional reasons, so I think that I will apply again to Berkeley. I feel like I have learned a lot that could help me for next time just by reading these forums and looking more into the school (plus I'll have one year's more experience!). I wasn't sure if Berkeley was my first choice when I applied, so I know that didn't shine through on my application. Now it is, so I will stay on the waitlist until August if necessary (I talked to admissions and they said someone dropped out early August last year and a waitlister got in then) and apply again if not accepted.

Well I just got my rejection letter from Berkeley. Apparently I should have established residency in California before applying :( Looks like it's off to either UT Austin or Columbia. Good luck to everyone still waiting!