UC Berkeley - Fall 2012 MSW Admissions

mswhopeful2012

It really seems like they heavily accepted CA residents. And I read somewhere that the school tries to maintain only a 5% out-of-state population, which seems insanely low. I'm sure there were probably other factors though.

Is there still a chance that they might be sending more acceptances out? Or is it safe to say that if we haven't heard, we aren't in?

Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst!

You're not accepted until they say so! Don't lose hope!

Edited by rjose

Trying not to lose hope!

Has anyone been waitlisted to the CMH concentration? I know that quite a few were admitted last week, but I am keeping my fingers crossed maybe they are still admitting people, or at least waitlisting them.

Edited by lccsf

Well I just got my rejection letter from Berkeley. Apparently I should have established residency in California before applying :( Looks like it's off to either UT Austin or Columbia. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Sorry to hear that Rivka! :( Did they send you a letter, or email you?

I emailed the admissions office yesterday and they wrote back today saying they are still sending out admissions decisions and I will hear back from them within a few days.

I am an in-state CMH applicant btw. Keeping hope alive!

rjose and lccsf: You're welcome! The spreadsheet is getting more interesting as people update it. It looks like Berkeley likes psychology majors, in-state, who graduated in the last 5 years. Or.. in-state psychology majors who graduated in the last 5 years like to apply to Berkeley.. :)

I've decided that I am definitely moving to the Bay area anyway for personal and professional reasons, so I think that I will apply again to Berkeley. I feel like I have learned a lot that could help me for next time just by reading these forums and looking more into the school (plus I'll have one year's more experience!). I wasn't sure if Berkeley was my first choice when I applied, so I know that didn't shine through on my application. Now it is, so I will stay on the waitlist until August if necessary (I talked to admissions and they said someone dropped out early August last year and a waitlister got in then) and apply again if not accepted.

Aww, this made me smile. I think you have a great perspective and hope you get in this year. If not, your chances of getting in next year are a lot higher since you were waitlisted this year! I have a feeling the only reason I was even put on the waitlist last year and not out-right rejected (with my woeful 7 months of experience) was because I really stressed how I felt Berkeley was the right school for me.

Well I just got my rejection letter from Berkeley. Apparently I should have established residency in California before applying :( Looks like it's off to either UT Austin or Columbia. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Sorry to hear that Rivka. I had no idea that out-of-state residents were given lower priority, but it does seem to look that way. :( Good luck at UT Austin or Columbia.

Is there still a chance that they might be sending more acceptances out? Or is it safe to say that if we haven't heard, we aren't in?

Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst!

It's not over till it's over! Check out the results survey on gradcafe for the last few years. Some people got in way later than others. Berkeley's admission process is pretty unpredictable year by year.

I was also waitlisted at Berkeley for MAP. I'm out of state as well. I wonder how many MAP spaces there are? A friend of mine in CFS said tons of students come off the waitlist so don't lose hope everyone!

Meanwhile Columbia is insisting I let them know by the end of next week...

Welcome vidacelina and prevail and congrats for getting waitlisted! What is with these schools that don't follow the April 15th deadline thing?! You could try emailing them to ask if they can extend the deadline for you? ATohCe.24 posted this earlier (on the first page): "Health & Management each had roughly 15-17 spots / 100 apps". Good luck!

I'm so sorry to hear this :( I could tell how passionate you were about this, and I was definitely rooting for you!

Thanks :) I really was passionate and still want it very much. Would someone who got accepted be willing to send me your resume and essays so I can see where I went wrong? :::sigh::: gonna take a few days to get over the heartbreak

I applied to MAP. I still have to hear back from 2 schools, but I really, really wanted to go to Berkeley.

I am in the same boat you are! I got my rejection letter yesterday, and even though I have back-ups I really don't want to settle for less than Berkeley. I am turning this around into a positive, and still moving up to the Bay Area to gain some work experience and reapply for next year! I knew I was taking a gamble applying because I graduate from a BA in May, but I am determined to try my best at any given point in time. I hear they like when people show determination and reapply, and that's exactly what they will get from me! One year is worth it to go to my dream school :D

Good luck to you all, and congrats to those who got in! I will definitely be seeing some of you next year on the boards!

I am in the same boat you are! I got my rejection letter yesterday, and even though I have back-ups I really don't want to settle for less than Berkeley. I am turning this around into a positive, and still moving up to the Bay Area to gain some work experience and reapply for next year! I knew I was taking a gamble applying because I graduate from a BA in May, but I am determined to try my best at any given point in time. I hear they like when people show determination and reapply, and that's exactly what they will get from me! One year is worth it to go to my dream school :D

Good luck to you all, and congrats to those who got in! I will definitely be seeing some of you next year on the boards!

It sounds like you are very determined!! I am working on my "this-stinks-but-time-to-keep-trucking contingency plan"!! I may still move out to CA because I really would love to live there am it would give me an opportunity to try and grow more since there really aren't opportunities here. I just have to find a way to make a living and have health insurance before I am able to do that!

It sounds like you are very determined!! I am working on my "this-stinks-but-time-to-keep-trucking contingency plan"!! I may still move out to CA because I really would love to live there am it would give me an opportunity to try and grow more since there really aren't opportunities here. I just have to find a way to make a living and have health insurance before I am able to do that!

i'm sorry to hear about your rejection :( If you do decide to move out to California there are a lot of jobs out here with good pay as behavioral therapists for children with autism. That's what I currently do. The only thing is that it requires a lot of travel so you'd have to have a car and I dont know if you plan on driving on over. most companies offer benefits and health insurance to their full time employees, it took me about 2 months to get to that point. I'm in the LA area though, if you were to move to the Bay area, i'm not sure what the prospects are like.

i'm sorry to hear about your rejection :( If you do decide to move out to California there are a lot of jobs out here with good pay as behavioral therapists for children with autism. That's what I currently do. The only thing is that it requires a lot of travel so you'd have to have a car and I dont know if you plan on driving on over. most companies offer benefits and health insurance to their full time employees, it took me about 2 months to get to that point. I'm in the LA area though, if you were to move to the Bay area, i'm not sure what the prospects are like.

I want to also add that I am sorry to hear about that. You sound incredibly motivated. So don´t let it slow you down. I´ve lived in both LA and SF before and both are pretty live-able cities that offer a lot of volunteer opportunities if you have to take a different type of job to pay the bills. Both areas are high need areas. I say this because I am an applicant that didn´t major in psychology or social work. If I don´t get in this year likely I´ll have to do the job + volunteer thing to further boost my application.