Abstract Submission Etiquette

Hi Everyone,

I am just now thinking about presenting at conferences and wanted some tips on abstract etiquette. For instance, is it okay to send multiple abstracts to different conferences? I sent an abstract to my first conference the 30th of last month and just got word that it was rejected this past Monday. I sent the same abstract to another conference two days ago and was told that I wouldn't know the status of my abstract until April, though the conference is in June (and is abroad for that matter). Is it better to wait until I hear back from a conference before sending the same abstract proposal to another conference? I would not want to do anything that would jeopardize my standing in my field. Thanks for your help!

At least in economics, psychology, and marketing, there's no max on how many times you can present a paper/poster at different conferences. You should be able to submit to all the conferences simultaneously and should be able to present at all given unanimous acceptance.

Yep, it's okay to submit the same abstract to more than one place, and to present the same paper twice. Of course, papers can also change from one conference to the next, which means that you might not be presenting quite the same paper anymore at the second one. It's obviously better for your resume to be presenting different papers (or at least different versions of the same paper with different titles/different focuses), but it's fine to present the same paper twice once in a while, especially if these are your first conferences!