Marine Sciences

Bionerd2012

@scubaduba Did you apply to UW SAFS? I did too, and haven't heard a word from them, but I think they're planning to send out decisions sometime this week.

Yes, I did. I got an email from the graduate adviser because I visited over Spring Break (unofficial visit, I figured I might as well pop in since I was visiting Oregon, as it turns out nearly everyone was gone because they had a power outage the previous day) saying "Our admissions committee is not expected to come out with decisions until the end of March or beginning of April. The annual deadline for students to respond to Graduate Schools is April 15th. You'll receive email as soon as a decision has been made."

I think they should be sending emails this week...

Edited by scubaduba

It's kind of ridiculous to wait this long and this close to the deadline. Most of my friends in other fields have already been notified by all schools, made decisions, been added to departmental listservs... It's nerve-wracking! Not to mention that other fields tend to have more money than the marine sciences, especially marine bio.

I also know some people in marine sciences who were THIS close to being admitted (i.e. their prospective PI's pretty much guaranteed their admission, ONLY IF their pending NSF, NOAA, or Seagrant proposals were accepted, etc), but unfortunately the proposals were declined, and the PI's couldn't accept them... it's crazy how eventually the fate of your admission is then COMPLETELY dependent on the hands of those NSF or other funding agency judges.

That's the case for me with one person at SAFS... she was willing to take me if I got the NSF or SAFS offered me funding (which apparently is unlikely? Has anyone heard much about that?). Oops, I guess they better give me a TAship (if I get in at all), otherwise goodbye narwhals! :/

That's the case for me with one person at SAFS... she was willing to take me if I got the NSF or SAFS offered me funding (which apparently is unlikely? Has anyone heard much about that?). Oops, I guess they better give me a TAship (if I get in at all), otherwise goodbye narwhals! :/

Did you get the email in February that you're eligible for SAFS fellowships? I didn't, and I'm starting to doubt I'll even get in... :/

Did you get the email in February that you're eligible for SAFS fellowships? I didn't, and I'm starting to doubt I'll even get in... :/

Me neither. I knew they were supposed to send emails around (February? March?) 15th... Never heard from them though.

Me neither. I knew they were supposed to send emails around (February? March?) 15th... Never heard from them though.

It appears like admissions to many marine graduate programs across the country have became extremely competitive in just few years... probably because not too many schools out there that offer specific degrees on marine sciences, fisheries, or oceanography (and more and more people want to enter this field)... I think over 140 people applied to SAFS last year and only 20 or less were admitted, I wonder what'll be like this time, lol...

Ouch, sounds dire. I hope in the future schools expand to meet demand, but that requires funding (which is lacking at the moment). On a somewhat related anecdote, I started applying to the FHL Blinks REU, but didn't go through with it when they begged people to consider other things because they received over 200 applications for 15 spots... for a summer program! Tough times.

Ouch, sounds dire. I hope in the future schools expand to meet demand, but that requires funding (which is lacking at the moment). On a somewhat related anecdote, I started applying to the FHL Blinks REU, but didn't go through with it when they begged people to consider other things because they received over 200 applications for 15 spots... for a summer program! Tough times.

For a summer program? That's... insane... 200 apps for 15 spots for a summer internship... this gives us an idea of how even attaining summer research experiences are becoming crazily competitive. 15/200 is even more competitive than many grad school programs!

UW posts their graduate admission statistics every year. It's crazy how competitive SAFS is: http://www.grad.washington.edu/about/statistics/admissions/

I also know some people in marine sciences who were THIS close to being admitted (i.e. their prospective PI's pretty much guaranteed their admission, ONLY IF their pending NSF, NOAA, or Seagrant proposals were accepted, etc), but unfortunately the proposals were declined, and the PI's couldn't accept them... it's crazy how eventually the fate of your admission is then COMPLETELY dependent on the hands of those NSF or other funding agency judges.

I'm curious- did any POIs actually tell you to apply for specific funding? I was only told about the FAFSA and the standard NSF grants.

I can't answer for FoggyAnhinga, but one of the POI's I applied to said that they were specifically writing me in as a potential graduate student in their NSF grants. I didn't ask for details (and ultimately chose to not attend there, so I guess it doesn't matter), but I would assume they were asking for some combination of RA funds (should I not receive a fellowship) and money for supplies I would use during projects. So no, I didn't apply for funds outside of university scholarships and the GRFP, but once I'd reached the "serious" stage with each POI, they did start including me in their budgets for new proposals.

Also, I think the competition in marine science programs is mostly dependent on your field. Of course, the "name" programs like WHOI and Scripps will always have an influx of applications, just like Harvard and Yale do. But (correct me if I'm wrong), the fields that deal with so-called charismatic megafauna are usually much more competitive than other oceanographic disciplines. I mean, plenty of kids grow up and go to college because they want to swim with dolphins/seals/sharks, but how many grew up wanting to study planktonic larvae or deep sea sediment? Not to knock those fields at all (!), they just don't usually hook people in elementary school :) Competition for funding, especially through a department or university, is definitely increasing though.

Then again, it could all be the bad luck of 2008 and 2009 HS graduates. I graduated in '08 and seem to remember a news story that it was the largest graduating class in history, nationwide. For all I know, the numbers are still going up.

I'm curious- did any POIs actually tell you to apply for specific funding? I was only told about the FAFSA and the standard NSF grants.

Some prospective POIs suggested Sea Grants and specific fellowships offered by specific schools.

Edited by FoggyAnhinga

Has anyone heard anything from Scripps Marine Biology? I've seen results posted on this site for other departments, but so far nothing from MB.

It seems like by now the majority of the marine science graduate programs have sent admission decisions. I have accepted one of my PhD admission offers today. Good luck to you all! :)

Has anyone had any luck contacting USC's MEB department? I figure at this point I'm rejected, but I have not been able to talk to a real person AT ALL this entire time, except for my POI. He said it had gone to admissions at a certain point, and didn't have much more information, but this is crazy. I just want to know either way before I start making other final decisions. I've called a lot of the numbers I can find, but all I ever get is voice mail.