Continue with Bachelor courses, or keep pursuing Masters/PHD?

Hanyuye

Hi there,

A quick roundabout about this season full of wallops; I applied to 7 colleges, 4 for Masters, and 3 for PHD. So far, I've gotten 3 rejections from Masters and 1 rejection for PHD. I still haven't heard from UNC, YALE, and NCSU (Biomath).

I graduated with a BA in English and right now I'm taking prerequisites to fulfill the entry requirements and beyond. I've taken

Calculus with Analytical Geometry I, II, and III. Graph Theory, Applied Statistics, Fundamental Ecology, Fundamental Physics, Advanced Math Proofs. I'm currently taking Linear Algebra and Probability Theory and my summer courses are pending on suggestions.

My question is, so far as I've been rejected (GRE, V 155, Q 158, AW 4.5), should I keep taking bachelor courses to finish a math major (about 4-5 more courses which are Differential Equations, Discrete Math, Applied Math, and Mathematical Statistics/Stochastic). Or apply for for a super safety school for applied math (the same one I'm taking undergrad courses at) and then while as a grad student in the fall, apply for Fall 2013 Masters/PHD programs?

If this isn't clear, I'll be glad to clarify.

Would you be happy with a Masters from your current program? Is is a one year program? Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's better to stay in the undergrad program than to try and convince masters/phd programs why you should switch in the middle of your current program.

In terms of classes, if you're applying for applied math, you've probably just barely met the minimum requirements. Common requirements I saw when applying this year (for applied math phd programs) are real/complex analysis, differential geometry, ODEs, PDEs, abstract algebra...

I would not be happy with the Masters from my current undergraduate college as it is a two-year program and I won't be taking it full-time if I enrolled.

As for the applied math courses, I can get the ones you listed and most of what I mentioned earlier done by the end of summer with good grades I believe- Also, do you think I should just enroll in graduate courses as an undergrad and see if my graduate choices will see that any differently than completing the major?