Law & Society Interdisciplinary Programs

cooperphd

Are there any folks out there who have applied to the interdisciplinary programs in Law and Society? Some are housed in the Criminology Departments, but NYU has its own program. Just wondering where people applied and if they have heard anything from the schools. I applied to 7 programs from UC Irvine to NYU. Just thought I would try to start a discussion for those in the interdisciplinary world

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I took classes at NYU's last semester. Strong program but extremely small. They have 3 doctoral students this year. I think Washington University has a very strong program, but NYU has Sally Merry and a plethora of very strong faculty members in the Law school/Anthropology and Sociology to work with their students.

Hmm...I don't know much about it I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to AU's Law, Justice, and Society masters program. I recieved an admission offer the last week of January. The program has 3 different concentration options but I plan to focus on the public policy side. I studied criminal justice/criminology as an undergrad.

I also applied to American's program for a PhD and was accepted. I am going to be visiting in April. Do you know how they rank? I get the sense that it isn't a top program but not bad either.

I read online that they were rated among the top 10 nationally. So I think its a pretty good program. I was very impressed with the graduate courses they offered. I visited the campus last weekend and I couldnt figure out why it was so empty but then I saw a sign saying they were on spring break.

I applied to the NYU Law & Society program and have not heard anything. I saw that someone was waitlisted. Have offers been sent out? I assume if a waiting list has been created that they have extended offers.

I called the department because I have offers elsewhere and was interested to know their decisions. The graduate secretary said that no decisions had been sent yet. That everything was going to be mailed next week or possibly the beginning of the following week. Unfortunately, I think the poster on the wall was lying.

I read online that they were rated among the top 10 nationally. So I think its a pretty good program. I was very impressed with the graduate courses they offered. I visited the campus last weekend and I couldnt figure out why it was so empty but then I saw a sign saying they were on spring break.

Did you decide you will definitely attend after your visit? The PhD program visit day isn't until April 6th so I won't make any final decisions until then. I have full funding there, but have been wait listed for funding for a few other programs. I will probably wait to hear from other schools, just so I know my full options.

Did you decide you will definitely attend after your visit? The PhD program visit day isn't until April 6th so I won't make any final decisions until then. I have full funding there, but have been wait listed for funding for a few other programs. I will probably wait to hear from other schools, just so I know my full options.

Oddly enough I actually had my heart set on AU way before I visited. I compared the SPA program with a few similar programs in the area and I just felt that would be a better fit. Not to mention the evening course schedule they offer. Unfortunately, I will be attending part time and I dont think they offer funding to part timers. The campus was nice (rather small compared to my undergrad school) but I decided to base my decision on the program rather than the location. I want to visit one more time but I'm positive this is the school I want to attend. I plan on sending in my confirmation to attend next week.

Interesting, the night class schedule is what is slightly turning me off. I saw that two of the doctoral seminars are from 8-11pm and I am a morning person. I lived in DC before so I am actually excited at the prospect of returning. Both my master's and undergrad were in large cities, so I like city living. Congratulations on your decision making. I'll let you know if we'll be classmates when I decide, but honestly I think I am leading that way as well.