Any news on Penn?

I sent an e-mail this morning and heard back from the DGS. She says that letters will go out sometime next week but has not been given an exact date. Which is unfortunate, because, like you, it's the last program on my list. She also shared that the visitation schedule is the 13-15 (which is, of course, what every program's schedule seemingly is). Sigh.

Damn, that steals the false sense of security I felt between the hours of 8pm and 7am. Can we have no peace?

On another note, congratulations, take this waltz! That is huge! So excited for you. And jealous. But mostly excited. What's your field?

Thanks, everyone! I'm simply over the moon. I was not expecting this at all--or most of my acceptances for this matter. I have a lot of thinking and soul-searching to do in the next several weeks. UPenn has made this decision all the more difficult for me, but what a happy problem it is to have.

After this is all over, I hope to share some insights I've gleaned through this application process with anyone thinking of applying next year. I've always considered myself an academic underdog in many ways, so I sincerely think that some of my experiences may give others hope.

Aeplo, my specialty is in the rise of corporate culture and immigrant fiction at the turn of the twentieth century. What's yours?

Best of luck to everyone!

U of Penn was my top choice and is now my sixth rejection. So so bummed. I wish I had an acceptance to ease the pain. But congrats to all you guys that have been accepted, especially TakethisWaltz. I can't believe they called you in the middle of the night. How strange.

U of Penn was my top choice and is now my sixth rejection. So so bummed. I wish I had an acceptance to ease the pain. But congrats to all you guys that have been accepted, especially TakethisWaltz. I can't believe they called you in the middle of the night. How strange.

For some reason this made me picture Lionel Ritchie's professor character in the "Hello" video.

An amazingly hilarious and disturbing text. Why is he obsessing about a blind, teenaged student of his? Creepy.

Yeah -- it's one of those pieces that creepily romanticizes the male professor/female student sexual power dynamic. But, you know, she's blind too. So either Lionel Ritchie has a heart of gold and is willing to see past her disability and into her soul (or whatever), or he is taking advantage of the fact she can't see him stalking her all the time (although, presumably she can hear those golden pipes creeping up behind her). Also, the Lionel Ritchie bust at the end is so... awkwardly bad. Anyway, yes, someone needs to write about it. Anyone here into postmodern pop culture?

I don't know how to feel about my post being associated with Lionel Ritchie, but TripWillis thank you for cheering me up about admissions. I don't know what to say except thanks "cause you know just what to say/and you know just what to do/And I want to tell you so much, I love you"

I just now noticed someone posted this comment from a rejection on the results board: "I trust that you have been, or will soon be, admitted elsewhere to a university of your choice, and I should like to take this opportunity to wish you luck and success in your graduate studies."

Did they put that in everyone's letters, or did they personalize it? I'm just curious, because I have gotten a few letters that say something to the effect of, "Your qualifications were impressive," etc. etc. but I always just assume it's generic and they say that to everyone. To be honest, it drives me crazy. Why would you want to extend compliments in rejection form letters that might not actually be true? After all, doesn't a rejection often mean that they were NOT impressed by your qualifications? Personally, I like it when they're just cut and dry: "We offer 10 spots and we got 400 apps -- don't take it personally, but you weren't the first choice. Best of luck." The faux niceties kill me.