UCLA 2012

Karlito

Hey all,

Since UCLA did not have its own topic I figured I would do one here. Who is admitted and who thinks of attending? I am on a short waitlist there, and it's my top choice. Needless to say, if somebody does not want to attend, please give me your spot :). Otherwise it would be great to share info on the cohort, funding, POIs, etc. I am especially interested in info about the quality of life on a grad student budget in a city like LA. Any thoughts?

Edited by Karlito

Hey, Karlito.

First off, I got into UCLA and am not planning to attend (I mentioned this in another forum and got a lot of PMs asking me why-- it's 100% an issue of fit/personal preference, not any info about the quality of the program, which I'm sure is wonderful.) But hopefully that will help you get off the waitlist and into a program you're excited about.

I don't know anything about living there on a grad student's budget, but I have some friends that went there for undergrad and I can tell you that even if you can't afford a nice place to live, you will be able to spend your time on a beautiful campus in unbeatable weather. I know some people from outside California don't necessarily like the 365 heat, but I'm super envious. Most other top ten schools are in horrendous climates, and I have a feeling that wherever I choose to go, they're going to find my blue body frozen solid on my way to the library or something come January.

Anyway-- congrats, and hope it works out!

Hey! Splitends, thanks a lot for the info. Hopefully I get your spot haha! Anyway good luck and congratulations for your admission. SocHope, I emailed the grad coordinator to ask about the status of my application. She said the waitlist was "extremely short". Good luck all!

Karlito - When did you email the grad coordinator? I was just thinking about doing that today. I've been accepted to a couple schools, but hearing from UCLA would really change the equation, I think.

Also, their site is down for maintenance right now.... do you happen to have the grad coord's email?

Thanks!

Socscholar: I just saw the bomb's wake. I'm still braced to get hit with shrapnel myself...

I emailed the grad coordinator last week regarding the status of my application. She said that she was expecting final decisions within the week, and that I would hear soon after. I have no idea if that is a good response, but I'm betting it isn't.

I emailed last week and called this week to follow up. It seems that UCLA's privacy policy prohibits the Grad Coordinator from sharing decision information over the phone. So it seems that you may have to sit tight and wait for this one. On the plus side, I'm right there with ya', nervous as hell.

So what's the funding like for admitted students?

The funding isn't that great considering the cost of living in LA. I think the stipend was between $17 and $18K, and if I ended up getting a fellowship from the grad school it would go up to somewhere around $21K.

In any event, I declined my offer there, so I hope it helps you out!

Thanks for the info. Considering the cost of housing and living in LA, that's ridiculously low. Too bad because I think they are losing a lot of good students to other schools. I am still waiting and most interested, although I have another offer with good funding.

Edit: when did you decline exactly?

Edited by Karlito

Thanks for the info. Considering the cost of housing and living in LA, that's ridiculously low. Too bad because I think they are losing a lot of good students to other schools. I am still waiting and most interested, although I have another offer with good funding.

Edit: when did you decline exactly?

I just declined at the end of last week.

sociology27 - I'll PM you.

• 4 weeks later...