fellowship/assistantship chances from the waitlist

kirbyanne

Hi all,

I am in the midst of waiting for news from the MFA programs I applied to for Fall 2012 (creative writing/poetry). So far, I've received a rejection from Michigan, and just found out today that I made the waitlist at University of Alabama. I'm still waiting to hear from a few more schools.

My question is about the rewarding of fellowships, teaching assistantships, etc. in regards to waitlisted applicants for MFA programs. I would presume that, in general, all positions/awards are offered to accepted students along with their initial acceptance notifications -- or are they typically not decided on until all open spots in the program have been firmly filled (after April 15)? Obviously it wouldn't make sense, if a student awarded some position turns down admission, that the award would automatically go to whoever the next person in line is to fill their spot...So, if I am fortunate enough to make it off the waitlist, are my chances of receiving aid any less than if I'd been accepted outright? Is there anything else I could do at this point to help my chances, if I do eventually get accepted?

• 1 month later...

Alabama is a fully-funded program for everyone, so you'll get funding if you get off the waitlist. probably not a special additional fellowship on top of a TAship, but definitely a TAship. good luck.