2012 AAPA Annual Conference

duckiesandbees

Is anyone attending this conference in April? I am thinking of attending if I can get a decent price on a flight to Portland. As I don't think I was accepted anywhere this year, I see this as a good opportunity to network with professors that I can contact next year during applicaitons. However, I won't be presenting a paper, so I'm not sure if the cost will be worth it (what is the significance of "attended conference" on a CV?)

Also, is anyone (female) willing to share a room during the conference? The conference hotel is $155 a night, but I may end up staying at a cheaper hotel further away and getting transport everyday (family discount = a room for <$35).

It might be better to save cash and go to the AAA in San Francisco in November. There are plenty of super cheap places to stay that are BART accessible, and by November, you'll have your statement reworked, your project revamped, and will be much more likely to be fresh in people's minds. In the meantime I'd email departments that you didn't get in to (hey, don't count yourself out just yet!) and see what it was that lead them to not give you an offer.

Im thinking from my own experience...I met some profs in Feb and March of last year, and my current project is so terribly different that those conversations were pretty much useless sans getting to know someone and hearing about their department.

It might be better to save cash and go to the AAA in San Francisco in November. There are plenty of super cheap places to stay that are BART accessible, and by November, you'll have your statement reworked, your project revamped, and will be much more likely to be fresh in people's minds. In the meantime I'd email departments that you didn't get in to (hey, don't count yourself out just yet!) and see what it was that lead them to not give you an offer.

Im thinking from my own experience...I met some profs in Feb and March of last year, and my current project is so terribly different that those conversations were pretty much useless sans getting to know someone and hearing about their department.

Thanks for the advice. I am planning on submitting an abstract to AAA and will most likely attend if it's accepted or not. My only concern is that I know for sure several POIs will be at the AAPA conference and I'm not sure about the AAA. In your experience is the AAA meeting something that all or almost all profs attend? Mine didn't, but we also didn't have a phd program.

I think if you are a bio anth it is very important to attend AAPA. In fact, it is more important to attend AAPA than AAA in that case (there were no sooo many physical or bio anthro sessions at the last AAA's and a lot of professors complained about how physical and bio are underrepresented