Graduate Study for the 21st Century

igel

So, while I'm waiting on acceptances, I have been reading the book "Graduate Study for the 21st Century" by Gregory Semenza.

It's a great book, but I'm using it to torture myself. For instance, the author stresses the importance of organization, and I agonize over how the current state of my desk (piled about 2 feet high with miscellaneous papers) and my house (messy) are omens that I will be completely unsuccessful as a graduate student.

He talks about the importance of attendance, preparation, and meeting deadlines; I reflect with anguish on the requests for extensions I made as an undergrad, the times I churned out papers at the last minute, and the times I skipped class.

When I'm not thinking about how wretchedly unworthy/unready I am for graduate study, I read sections of the book, and then fantasize (morbidly) about how I will be the best graduate student ever, how all of my professors will love me and my work, and how everyone will be impressed with my amazing work ethic and maturity.

I know I'm focusing on the wrong things in a book that, I think, will be a great resource as I begin my studies in the fall. I've decided I get to indulge myself in all this sick thinking until I choose a graduate program. Anyone else doing some "How to Survive Grad School" type reading? How's it making you feel?

I've been reading the book as well; I think he is certainly a bit over-the-top in some areas, but overall doesn't scare me that much. I work in a job that places a high value on many of the same traits he describes as critical, so I read the stuff and think it sounds great - more of the same sort of thing I've been doing for years, just in a much, much better context. :) In fact, it many ways, it is very reassuring.

Let me just say I was/am like the OP. I went to a top 25 ugrad and got a pretty good GPA, but I was very much like the OP. I ended going to law school for one semester, and let me just tell you that the author of this book you're talking about has it 100% CORRECT. If you want to survive graduate school, you must be on time, be involved, never miss class, start your assignments when they are assigned, take meticulous notes, be organized, etc etc. The weeks leading up to grad school for me won't be a haze of alcohol. It will be me getting up at 6am, going to the gym, getting used to keeping a schedule and staying organized. I have an 8-5 job as it is, so it's not like I'm out of control by any means, but I could keep a much tighter schedule.

I ended going to law school for one semester, and let me just tell you that the author of this book you're talking about has it 100% CORRECT.

I suppose it's not a coincidence that I have a J.D. and simultaneously feel pretty good about what I'm getting into with seeking a doctorate...

A J.D. to a PhD in History, I'm not surprised by that one bit. Having been a histroy major (and absolutely loving history, sometimes I wonder if I should have taken the PhD route), and briefly experiencing the soul crushing world that is the legal profession.

I'm really happy that everyone who has replied to my post thus far will be entering graduate school completely free from concern about success in an incredibly competitive, rigorous course of study that culminates in a cut-throat job market. (Probably doesn't sums up what you're facing, Victory, since you're not in humanities, but whatev.)

Now, where are my anxiety-ridden brethern?

A J.D. to a PhD in History, I'm not surprised by that one bit. Having been a histroy major (and absolutely loving history, sometimes I wonder if I should have taken the PhD route), and briefly experiencing the soul crushing world that is the legal profession.

My experience has been more than brief, unfortunately... several years now. Time to get out before the cynicism completes it's takeover. :)

I'm really happy that everyone who has replied to my post thus far will be entering graduate school completely free from concern about success in an incredibly competitive, rigorous course of study that culminates in a cut-throat job market.

Agreed on the job-market aspect, but I've been surprised in my conversations with grad students about how non-competitive grad school itself seems (at least between students). Law school was super-competitive but that's because, in part, everything was graded on a strict curve where most students received Bs, and you were interviewing for jobs one year after starting. Most of the humanities grad students I've spoken to have been more concerned about their own work and research than what everyone else is doing, and As and A-s are the expectation (and you have to be failing essentially, not to get them). You're competing with yourself for sure, but hopefully you can win that one. The application process IS competitive, I'll give you that, but more indirectly...

Urban planning, while not under the humanities umbrella, isn't exactly the path to financial freedom haha.

Oh, and synthla, how much research experience did you have under your belt prior to applying?

I thought the fact that I didn't write an undergrad thesis, plus I never did any research work meant that a PhD in History was pretty much out of the question.

Agreed on the job-market aspect, but I've been surprised in my conversations with grad students about how non-competitive grad school itself seems (at least between students).

As an undergrad, I worked as a student hourly in my major department's secretarial office. It was not an eminent department -- I would describe it as sleepy and underfunded. There were not many graduate students, but even as a peripheral part of the department, I could feel the undercurrent of struggle. There was much veiled maneuvering to get the fatter fellowships the department administered at the right time, people jockeying over who would receive an exchange at which German university or a nomination for a graduate school prize.

The scarcity of resources in humanities departments (coupled with the fact that many programs admit too many graduate students) makes for competition, even if it's not competition that's played out in the classroom.

Oh, and synthla, how much research experience did you have under your belt prior to applying?

That was probably one of the weaker parts of my application because I was/am in the same position. I used a nice seminar paper with some primary source work as my writing sample, but it certainly wasn't "thesis" level; however I think my SoP made it clear that I've become pretty well read in my subfield on my own time and had critically thought about my research interests, and mentioned that law is research and writing at it's most basic level. Apparently one school, at least, has looked past my lack of evidenced historical research and thrown in a nice funding package as well.

EDIT: I should also mention I didn't even major in history.

The scarcity of resources in humanities departments (coupled with the fact that many programs admit too many graduate students) makes for competition, even if it's not competition that's played out in the classroom.

I'm sure it does depend on department to an extent; if it's a department where everyone is funded as a matter of course, I'd guess competition is much lower.

Just wanted to let the OP know that some of us are just as anxious about whether or not we'll succeed in grad school. I certainly don't keep a clean desk (either at home or work). I'm not so worried about competition with my fellow grad students. I'm struggling more with impostor syndrome. :) I've been out of school for five years and I'm sure I've forgotten everything and will be miles behind my cohort. My friends who are grad students keep telling me that everyone feels this way and I'll be fine, but I'm still worried. I suspect I'll stay worried until I actually have that PhD in my hand.