English programs & interdisciplinary work

Though the application season isn't quite over, I'm a worrywart and tend to think a bit too far ahead for my own sanity. However, assuming I will be applying for a second round next fall, I was wondering if I could draw on the depth/breadth of wisdom available in this forum - especially since I didn't stumble across it until well after submitting those apps this year.

I've already isolated some things I'll change in my approach, and I think geographic diversity should be one of them. I only applied to schools within a few hours from home (luckily, as a New Englander, there are a lot of them). This was mostly due to feeling responsible for family, but I accept that I might need to give that up for round 2.

My other problem (asset?) is that my background is in visual arts (and English) and I want to study intersections between art history & English, using the literature as my primary source, the visual stuff as secondary - especially literature that portrays artists and their relationships with their work, re: the contemporary art world and re: visual portrayals of gendered bodies. The ultimate point being to dissect authors' analogies between the painter and the writer, as well as how both interact with their subjects. (The detail of a statement of purpose makes this a bit clearer, trust me. Or hopefully).

The ever-elusive "fit" might be more of an issue for me, then. It's a given that some schools won't see this as a "concentration" that fits with their typical way of categorizing applicants/students/literature. On the other hand, other schools are all about interdisciplinary research.

Since many of you are applying from other areas of the country and are familiar with other regions - or are already attending and know your own grad depts. well - what schools would you suggest I research as possibilities for next year? Given the discussions that have shown many of us to have diverse/atypical backgrounds, hopefully this info will be helpful to the rest of you, too.

Thanks, folks!

UC Riverside actually offers courses that combine art /art history and literature. If you go to their website, check out their recent course descriptions to see what I mean. In fact, I think their winter 2012 section had a course that looked at african american art, for example.

Edited by Timshel

I think your work sounds interesting, and I think English departments are largely very open to interdisciplinarity and a braod understanding of "the text." More than your interests, I would think your background would be the "weakness" per say. Maybe you could take a graduate class or two this semester, to strengthen your English chops. And next time around you might want to add some funded MAs to your search.

I think your work sounds interesting, and I think English departments are largely very open to interdisciplinarity and a braod understanding of "the text." More than your interests, I would think your background would be the "weakness" per say. Maybe you could take a graduate class or two this semester, to strengthen your English chops. And next time around you might want to add some funded MAs to your search.

Yes, this is my fear, too, though my undergrad coursework is only 3 credits shy of a major. I did my MA in English ed. and have taught HS English for 3 years. Unfortunately, I teach some upper-level and just time-wise demanding courses, so my attempts to fit grad classes into my school year haven't been too successful. I might try to do it this summer instead.

I do have one funded MA in my application arsenal (no word yet), but I'm wary of it - I wouldn't be able to teach public school again, most likely, if I had a second MA. (I know my current school shies away from even interviewing people with two).

Thanks to both of you - I'll look into UCR next time.

I would second UCR especially Dr. Jennifer Doyle who is extremely invested in art. When she teaches 20C to undergrads, it is primarily about art, gender, and text so it would be an excellent opportunity as a potential TA position for a quarter. As a sidenote, she is an amazing speaker in class - I've always told people that I just sit in her classes with hearts in my eyes and absorb every word.

Dr. Tobias also works with the visual although it tends to be films. The philosophy in the department is invested in visual works as a form of literature. In addition to 20C which was alternative texts, my Critical Methods (102) class spent a great deal of time with Benjamin and had the opportunity to write a paper on The Matrix.

Edited by BattlingAnxiety

Hey Anxious_Aspirant (love your username, by the way)! I don't really know of any schools doing what you're looking to do since our fields are pretty different, but if you're wary of obtaining a second MA but want to bolster your further applications, I really recommend auditing a grad or two at a nearby school. I did this last fall, and while my application season thus far has been largely unsuccessful (due to not really knowing how to pick schools for fit more than anything), I think my audited course added an impressive section to my SOP, maintained my writing skills during my time off, and helped me think of a lot of topics I would like to pursue in postgrad studies.

I audited a course at my undergrad institute so I didn't have to do much to get in, but I know someone mentioned somewhere that they managed to audit a course at a top 25 school in their area after s/he emailed them and demonstrated how serious s/he was about the course.

And auditing a course is free!

I hear you, Fiona - I live down the street from my undergrad, but my teaching schedule has made it hard to make the courses there. Unfortunately, they accepted me to their MA, which I don't think I'll be able to afford (tuition remission but no TAships available to former students - which no one told me & is not specified anywhere)...and turning that down means they might not be too keen on me mooching some more...Who knows.

Sorry if I sound bitter. It's just that the news kind of stung :mellow: . Thought I had a funded MA option.

Yes, this is my fear, too, though my undergrad coursework is only 3 credits shy of a major. I did my MA in English ed. and have taught HS English for 3 years. Unfortunately, I teach some upper-level and just time-wise demanding courses, so my attempts to fit grad classes into my school year haven't been too successful. I might try to do it this summer instead.

I do have one funded MA in my application arsenal (no word yet), but I'm wary of it - I wouldn't be able to teach public school again, most likely, if I had a second MA. (I know my current school shies away from even interviewing people with two).

Thanks to both of you - I'll look into UCR next time.

It seems to me that you also won't be able to teach public school as readily with a PhD, though. So if you really want the PhD, then the funded MA might help you get there.