2.35 GPA, do I have a chance at an IR/IA MA anywhere?

secretshayats

I have a dismal 2.35 UG gpa, I didn't do well in Economics.

I graduated around 7 years ago and have WE in government, non profit, and spent the last two years working overseas in international human rights. I can also speak several languages.

Do I have a shot at any school in the U.S. or in Europe for International Affairs/Relations MA programs?

Please let me know!

I think with your work experience you just might. However, I would advise applying to more lower-tier schools as good fits (I googled all MA IR programs in the US and abroad, 400+ universities came up): New England College, American Public University (online), American Military University (online), Indiana University, Alliant International University, Cal State schools (like Fullerton), San Fran State University, Virginia Tech, etc.

For European schools try Universities that offer programs solely in English; they tend to be a little less stringent in their GPA requirements (again not the top tier schools like LSE, but perhaps somewhere like Alice Salomon Hochschule in Germany, etc.)

If you cast a wide net, I am very sure you will land something. Your work experience really makes up for the lack of GPA. Have you taken the GRE yet? Do you know your scores? Do you have publications? If you make up for the GPA in other areas, you'll be a stronger candidate. The GPA is just one portion of your overall application.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I do not have any publications out, but I did research in UG that was presented to the Bush Administration. Also, in UG I was part of student government, organizations, and did a bunch of internships.

I have not taken the GRE, I am hoping to forgoe that. I am actually preparing for the LSAT and scoring in the 90+%. I had an interview with Northwestern Law last week and they told me that as long as I have a high LSAT score and good grades in a MA program, I have a good chance of admittance. As I mentioned earlier, I have an upward GPA trend in my senior year (my sophomore year of college I was run over by a car and took off the following quarter, however, I don't want to make it into a sob story and know adcomms will not look at that favorably, also, I did poorly in Economics courses (macro/micro/and two political science courses that were heavily impacted with economics). However, I took language and philosophy courses and an international human rights course after graduating and did very well in the courses.

As I mentioned earlier, I have government work experience, co-founded a non profit that is slowly succeeding, and more recently conducted humanitarian work overseas. Also my professor I did research with in UG had me speak to his students about my work abroad and listed me as a fellow for a program he created at my UG institution.

For my research interests, I have field documentation that I conducted while overseas. I have video documentation of politicians, prisoners, ngo advocates, evicted victims, etc.

Any further advice you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated!!

Edited by secretshayats

Obviously, you know that it's something to overcome, but at least you've done a lot to make up for it.

I'm mosty going on a hunch, but I'd say you may have a better chance with European schools. I know that when I studied in Spain, grades were regularly much lower than we get in the States. (Our professors thought that a C was a "good" grade... my semester over there hurt my GPA)

If you want to stay in the States, though, I'd also go with a lesser known school that has a professor that's into whatever area it is you want to study. Yeah, you won't get the "big name" but you'll still get to learn what you need. I would apply to a few reaches, because you never know, and then make sure you have some others where it won't matter so much. I'm sure with your experience, you have great LOR and can write a killer SOP. I'd recommend starting some classes either online or at a nearby school, preferably retaking one that you didn't do well in back in UG to show that you can. I took an online Micro-econ class (through Berkeley Extension) to overcome an abysmal econ grade from UG.

It's definitely worth a shot, and from what I've heard, if you want to go into something like public sector or non-profits, the names aren't as important as private sector... having the knowledge/degree is more important...(but that's what I've *heard* so I can't fully vouch for it!)