York/Ryerson Communication and Culture - Heard Anything Yet?

tiffanyamber81

I'm thinking of emailing the GPD and asking about my status, after a week of just looking at MyFile without any word. Tina, I was wondering if you have any advice in terms of how you went about it? I'm really afraid that I will break the silence only for a rejection to come through. 

Hi Loren, I spoke to the director on Thursday and they mentioned that the first round of Ryerson's acceptances went out on Wednesday (he mentioned that week but for some reason I think he said Wednesday). My status was not formalized unfortunately as I did not make it through the first round of acceptances (my grades were not calculated properly at first--thankfully I called them--and so I qualify for a scholarship now but I suppose they felt it wasn't strong enough to make it to the first round), however, he mentioned that an acceptance is possible and likely. Long story short I'm wait listed but I speak to the director again tomorrow more formally about things. Carleton has to be accepted by Wednesday but I will likely make my decision after tomorrow's discussion with the director.  

Good luck to those that have received something or are about to receive word. 

Frankdeg, that sounds promising! Fingers crossed for you!

Loren, I emailed the GPD (Professor Mazepa) and then several days later, called her since I hadn't received a response. I ended up leaving voicemail.

In my email I said that the program administrator had told me they had already had their PhD admissions meeting and that I should get in touch with her to find out the status of my application. In my voicemail, I pretty much said the same thing, however, I said I was wondering if she would be able to tell me when I should expect to hear from them with a decision. She ended up emailing me the next morning.

I wish she had told me that acceptance was possible and likely! Instead, she gave me a professional response (which is good), suggesting "it would be prudent" for me to accept another offer with funding if I've been given one. I know I've said this already, but can't get that out of my head! Sigh.

Loren, did you apply to York's PhD? I can't remember... It would be so nice if we both ended up getting in after all this!

Edited by TinaBelinda

Frankdeg, that sounds promising! Fingers crossed for you!

Loren, I emailed the GPD (Professor Mazepa) and then several days later, called her since I hadn't received a response. I ended up leaving voicemail.

In my email I said that the program administrator had told me they had already had their PhD admissions meeting and that I should get in touch with her to find out the status of my application. In my voicemail, I pretty much said the same thing, however, I said I was wondering if she would be able to tell me when I should expect to hear from them with a decision. She ended up emailing me the next morning.

I wish she had told me that acceptance was possible and likely! Instead, she gave me a professional response (which is good), suggesting "it would be prudent" for me to accept another offer with funding if I've been given one. I know I've said this already, but can't get that out of my head! Sigh.

Loren, did you apply to York's PhD? I can't remember... It would be so nice if we both ended up getting in after all this!

Frankdeg, thank you for the response. I wish you luck in this application, and I hope you do end up getting an offer so you can finally make a decision!

Tina, I applied for the York PhD program, and my status remains undecided. As I said, I was afraid of emailing before since I do not want to break the silence for a possible rejection. However, I asked for the advice of a friend who is currently at York for the Social and Political Thought PhD, and had waited quite a while for her own acceptance last year. She said that was no harm in emailing, and I finally sent an email out tonight. I figured it'd be better to know sooner rather than later, whatever the outcome is. Hopefully I will get a response that won't require me to call her. My email was very short and concise, basically asking her if she can tell me where my application stands at this point in the decision process. I wanted to keep it short and straight to the point, since I wasn't really sure how to approach it. Felt like I was poking a sleeping dragon, or something. 

Anyways, I do hope as well that this ends well for the both of us Tina, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! We enter April tomorrow, so the wait better not last much longer.

It is such a relief to see this forum while waiting in dead silence. Big thanks to everyone sharing information. 

I'm an international applicant to Ryerson for MA Comcult.   I'm checking my RAMSS everyday, so far nothing happened. I understand that in the Admission Section, it is always You do not have any offers of Admission to confirm/decline at this time.  But I'm just wondering how they deliver the rejection to applicant ? By email or also in the Admission section ? 

I assume this week must be slow as people may still out of office for Easter ?

I don't think I'm going to get it anyway T_T. But If I have to die, I want to die fast. This waiting is really torturing.

Finger crossed for all of you. 

XXXX

Just as an update to Ryerson applicants: Admissions were sent out 1.5 weeks ago and because of the holiday weekend you are more than likely to receive something in the mail this week sometime. So check those mailboxes! Wish you the best of luck. 

I spoke to the ComCult director today and things looked very promising for my admission. He said that an email will be sent to me today sometime so I'm happy on that front. Scholarships have gone out but I have to wait to see if people decline as I may get something. TAships do not have a formalized program that goes on letters of admission and so I am required to apply for the position similarly like a job interview. I think this is where my stress lies as Carleton has mentioned in their offer money for TA positions. 

Ryerson is offering me possibilities whereas Carleton is offering me something in writing. Ryerson is my first choice and so I do not want to miss out on this opportunity but it's hard to comprehend where things will be. 

Edited by frankdeg

Just as an update to Ryerson applicants: Admissions were sent out 1.5 weeks ago and because of the holiday weekend you are more than likely to receive something in the mail this week sometime. So check those mailboxes! Wish you the best of luck. 

I spoke to the ComCult director today and things looked very promising for my admission. He said that an email will be sent to me today sometime so I'm happy on that front. Scholarships have gone out but I have to wait to see if people decline as I may get something. TAships do not have a formalized program that goes on letters of admission and so I am required to apply for the position similarly like a job interview. I think this is where my stress lies as Carleton has mentioned in their offer money for TA positions. 

Ryerson is offering me possibilities whereas Carleton is offering me something in writing. Ryerson is my first choice and so I do not want to miss out on this opportunity but it's hard to comprehend where things will be. 

Frankdeg, I'm glad things are working out for you in terms of your Ryerson application, though I understand if there's some stress that lies when it comes to funding and TA positions. One of the things that pushed me to apply to the York side rather than the Ryerson side was that York guarantees funding through TA positions, basically, while Ryerson still is a competition within others in the program (ie: you have to apply to get a TA position). In other words, it's not guaranteed funding. Carleton has guaranteed funding to all their applicants, plus a possible entrance scholarship, I believe. 

If you are not worried about funding, and are more passionate about the program itself, then you should be fine with Ryerson.

Frankdeg, I'm glad things are working out for you in terms of your Ryerson application, though I understand if there's some stress that lies when it comes to funding and TA positions. One of the things that pushed me to apply to the York side rather than the Ryerson side was that York guarantees funding through TA positions, basically, while Ryerson still is a competition within others in the program (ie: you have to apply to get a TA position). In other words, it's not guaranteed funding. Carleton has guaranteed funding to all their applicants, plus a possible entrance scholarship, I believe. 

If you are not worried about funding, and are more passionate about the program itself, then you should be fine with Ryerson.

frankdeg, thanks for the update and Congratulations on your good news ! I'm happy that at least someone from this forum is getting positive feedback !

So they said they only inform people through mails instead of emailing them first ? I'm international applicant, so oversea mailing will take quite a while !

XXX

frankdeg, thanks for the update and Congratulations on your good news ! I'm happy that at least someone from this forum is getting positive feedback !

So they said they only inform people through mails instead of emailing them first ? I'm international applicant, so oversea mailing will take quite a while !

XXX

I'm not sure if they are sending out admissions overseas differently than Canadian applicants. They just mentioned that something will be mailed.

Thank you for your response Loren. You are correct with the TA part with Carleton's admission as it was awarded to me in my admission. The director at Ryerson was also very promising in saying that the positions in ComCult are possible but of course not guaranteed. 

That's exciting news, Frankdeg!! Definitely let us know what you decide!

Loren, keep us posted on what Professor Mazepa says!

Aprilfool, I'd probably email or call the department if I were you, being overseas and all. Just for good measure!

I'm not sure if they are sending out admissions overseas differently than Canadian applicants. They just mentioned that something will be mailed.

Thank you for your response Loren. You are correct with the TA part with Carleton's admission as it was awarded to me in my admission. The director at Ryerson was also very promising in saying that the positions in ComCult are possible but of course not guaranteed. 

That's exciting news, Frankdeg!! Definitely let us know what you decide!

Loren, keep us posted on what Professor Mazepa says!

Aprilfool, I'd probably email or call the department if I were you, being overseas and all. Just for good measure!

Thank you Frankdeg and Tina. I think I will email them. Too scared to call them !  

XXX

I have a serious question and I'm not sure how to go about it.

I have yet to receive a formal offer from Ryerson with letter stating my admission to the Fall 2013 ComCult MA program (they said I should receive something in the mail and by email but nothing yet of course). I have, however, received admission into Carleton which needs to be accepted/declined by tomorrow. If I accept Carleton, can I back out of it IF I receive word from Ryerson? I'm not sure how to go about doing this or if this is possible. I don't want to say yes fully to Carleton but I don't want to leave it in case Ryerson does not formally send me anything.

Frankdeg, I don't see why you couldn't accept Carleton and then back out when/if you hear from Ryerson. You might lose a deposit, if they require that upon acceptance, but they can't force you to go! :) Then again, if Ryerson said you're in, you're in (even if you haven't received their package yet)!

I would accept Carleton and then back out if I heard from my top choice (i.e. Ryerson in this case for you). I'm sure this happens all the time!! 

Edited by TinaBelinda

I have a serious question and I'm not sure how to go about it.

I have yet to receive a formal offer from Ryerson with letter stating my admission to the Fall 2013 ComCult MA program (they said I should receive something in the mail and by email but nothing yet of course). I have, however, received admission into Carleton which needs to be accepted/declined by tomorrow. If I accept Carleton, can I back out of it IF I receive word from Ryerson? I'm not sure how to go about doing this or if this is possible. I don't want to say yes fully to Carleton but I don't want to leave it in case Ryerson does not formally send me anything.

Hi Frankdeg, I also think you should say yes to Carleton for now and see how things are going.

If the deposit is nonrefundable, you may see it as insurance  —— People want to have security, which doesn't mean they have to use it.  

Edited by aprilfool

I also think you should accept the offer from Carleton, Frankdeg, just for a bit of security.

In other non-news, I haven't received a reply from the GPD yet. The waiting is becoming too much, if I'm honest.

Loren, I hear you. I think it's affecting me more than I thought. I'm tempted to email the GPD again, but there's no point at this point. She said if they decide to offer me admission, she'll get in touch directly. So, I just have no choice to wait longer, I guess. Sigh.

If it's any consolation, the GPD at York took a long time to reply to my email. I emailed her on a Friday morning, called on the Tuesday morning and then she replied (via email) early Wed morning. 

I do not want to force an answer from them, but really, more word would be nice. Other programs sent out notices on the post to people that got waitlisted after the first round, so if we are waitlisted, why couldn't have they sent some kind of notice as well. It's just very frustrating, since people do have to set out plans to accomodate whatever decisions they make. And it's not like PhD is a one year program. You're preparing for a 4-year life change. That's a big decision.

I'm sorry, I guess I'm just a bit upset. Either way, I've made alternative plans, and if I do not hear from them, I can fall back on that one as well. I just wish I can get, as April says, some closure. 

But then again, it's still early. I didn't get accepted to my MA program last year until June. If you can believe it.

Hi Guys,

I am out. I got reply from Ryerson today.  It is faster than I expected. Here is what they say:

The comcult admissions committee has met and made their decisions.  Unfortunately you will be getting a non-approval letter in coming week.  Entry to this program is very competitive.
Thanks for your interest in this program.

I think my low GPA killed me. But it was 10 years ago and there is not too much I could do about it except to show them that I have rich working experiences. What if I had a strong research proposal, recommendation letters and good work backgrounds, but the GPA is still stopping me from getting through the first round? 

I am thinking to come back again next year. But what can I do ???? How can I overcome this shortcoming?

I sincerely wish you guys can get in. I understand how hard the entire journey is and I give you my best wishes .

Thanks.

XXX

Aprilfool, I'm so sorry to hear that. I think you should definitely reapply for next year. My understanding for these grad programs is that having a strong supplementary application can really help and that the prior GPA isn't as crucial in the admissions decision for these degrees. I think a strong research proposal can go a long way! That being said, I have not gotten in (yet???). Definitely consider asking the program director if there is anything you can improve in your application next time. 

Again, I'm really sorry to hear this news! At least now you know and can carry on.

Edited by TinaBelinda

Okay, I just called the GPD at York and left her a message asking how admissions are moving along and whereabouts on the wait list I am. Hope she replies! I wasn't sure I should call her since just last week she replied with that update, but like Loren said, a PhD is a big commitment. 

Edited by TinaBelinda

April, I'm sorry to hear about your application, but I do hope that this does not deter you. Personally, this is my 2nd time applying for a PhD position, the first during my MA. I believe that a strong research proposal does go a long way. Speaking from experience, my MA acceptance did not come until after an interview, where my GPD and supervisor said that my research was something the program wanted, but my marks made them cautious. Hence, the interview. Needless to say, the research proposal, and my enthusiasm for it, clinched my MA position. That being said, it is different for every school. 

Tina, I haven't received an email from the GPD and I haven't called. This is definitely disconcerting and at the moment, I'm just bracing myself for a rejection in the mail. Either way, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed as my status does still say No Decision Yet. 

I got an email from York's GPD and she said that I'm on the waiting list, and therefore still on the running. They find out at the end of next week if there are any spots left for them to do a second round of offers, then we find out after.

Okay, that sounds good, I think. I can't believe we have to wait another week (at least) though! Thanks for letting us know what she said! Fingers crossed. I really hope we both get in!