York/Ryerson Communication and Culture - Heard Anything Yet?

tiffanyamber81

Hey Tiffany,

I've applied to the PhD in ComCult this term; nothing as of yet (March 3rd, 2012). According to the GradCafe survey, York has started rolling out offers as of February 29th, none of which have been from ComCult.

Best of luck,

Craig

Hey there,

Head of the grad program said that he is going to e-mail/call people who get offers right away around March 12. They are only accepting 8 Canadians this year + 1 international student. The Ryerson side is accepting 6, but I don't know anything about their admissions process.

They are going to make offers to more that 9 people though, since they are expecting rejections. After they receive responses, they are going to contact their second choices and on and on. The latest they have ever made an offer was July. Because of that, the program is going to be slow sending out rejections.

Hope this helps. I got this info from their open house in February.

Let's keep each other informed here, shall we?

Another CommCult applicant! I am starting to become obsessive too! This York CommCult is a really good program that I wanted to get in :)...tho the school's reputation is okay, but the program is great I think.

Hope everyone gets everyone in touch by posting specific York/Ryerson CommCult Offer Information here ESP AROUND THIS THURS MARCH 8th to NEXT FRIDAY MARCH 16th 2012 (BOTH MA or PHD) - heard these are the specific range dates for offers for FALL 2012 - all MA and PHDs.

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by frozencake

Thanks for the info, everyone in this intensely specific thread. I applied to the PhD and it's a relief to think I'll hear back within the next couple of weeks!

JElliott, have you applied anywhere else? I just applied to York this time around, but, if I don't get in, am planning on applying to several schools next year.

Another MA applicant here!

Anyone have any idea on how the York program would compare to the Calgary MA in Cmns and Cult? I got an offer there, and my deadline is at the end of March, but I don't want to accept or decline before I know what York has to say. I am looking for people's experiences and/or second hand knowledge (I mean, ok, I am killing time here, but it's nice to speculate ahead of time).

Anyway, yeah, myfile... checked that every day - forcing myself to stop now!

Any other people applied to any other MA Cmns programs in Canada (not to hijack thread) - any info?

JElliott, have you applied anywhere else? I just applied to York this time around, but, if I don't get in, am planning on applying to several schools next year.

I applied to McMaster (Cultural Studies), Memorial (Folklore), and Calgary (Creative Writing) in addition to York's side of the program. Weird list, I know, but oddly all of the programs (minus Calgary) fit the research I proposed. So I don't know if that's helpful to you, honestly, but if you applied to look more at the cultural studies aspects, it might be. Again, heh, minus Calgary (though I know they have some sort of MA in the field; not sure about PhD).

I applied to McMaster (Cultural Studies), Memorial (Folklore), and Calgary (Creative Writing) in addition to York's side of the program. Weird list, I know, but oddly all of the programs (minus Calgary) fit the research I proposed. So I don't know if that's helpful to you, honestly, but if you applied to look more at the cultural studies aspects, it might be. Again, heh, minus Calgary (though I know they have some sort of MA in the field; not sure about PhD).

very cool, very cool

University of Calgary will have a PhD in Comm and Cult starting this year

you have an interesting angle. Something about creating/researching narratives?

I did my Master's in Communication Studies (qualitative, cultural studies approach), but I am sticking to the field, because have too many other interests, that honestly don't fit anywhere else. :)

Good luck!

very cool, very cool

University of Calgary will have a PhD in Comm and Cult starting this year

you have an interesting angle. Something about creating/researching narratives?

I did my Master's in Communication Studies (qualitative, cultural studies approach), but I am sticking to the field, because have too many other interests, that honestly don't fit anywhere else. :)

Good luck!

Pretty much, yeah. :) Coming-of-age narratives and feminism. Also interested in the interaction between media role models and young women.

Thanks for the info re: Calgary! Maybe if I end up there, there will be some crossover between that and English/Creative Writing. Or at least, I can dream.

ComCult is a really great program. I highly recommend against pursuing a PhD in ComCult though if you want to get a job in academia. The problem with fantastic interdisciplinary degrees is that your PhD isn't very marketable; despite the value of interdisciplinarity, most schools still hire people for specific disciplines and sub-fields. It sucks but it's the way she goes.

This is really cute. You come to a thread, where people with Masters gather to talk about getting into one particular PhD program. These people know what academia world is like (being fully aware of the value of good research), have spent a lot of time, money, and effort getting their documents ready (and you say you KNOW we are well equipped to spend that time making money instead), and now talk about how the process is going

i really don't think it is the right place and time to discuss the validity of our choice

Anyone hears anything from Admissions Office for both MA or PhDs applicants? Anyone call to ask when first batch of offers going out?

Hope they are starting to send out stuff by the end of this week and next week.......just can not wait anymore...hahha

Hey Everyone,

It's nice to see such an active thread regarding York's ComCult program. It was unfortunate that I couldn't go to the recent Open House events due to my responsibilities here at UWO Media Studies, but I am glad to be talking to what could be future colleagues; so it's nice to meet all of you, electronically anyway. I'll be sure to share information as I get it.

In the meantime, maybe we could talk more about how to make our second-class interdisciplinary degrees more marketable *insert sarcasm here* (cf. sugarcoatedsour, on 06 March 2012 - 03:50 PM in this thread); I recommend changing the degree name to PhD in Excellence, Innovation, and Economic Sustainability. :P

Best,

Craig