USC and UCSD

waitingforoffer

I haven't heard from UCSD yet either, but I was the one waitlisted by USC. I got the letter in the mail last Thursday - it was dated 2/2. They said they'd email me in a few days, and I haven't received an email yet. The letter was clear that they're having funding issues (as I posted on the results page). I'm going to initiate an email today to say I'm "still interested in being considered" (but truthfully, it's unlikely I'll be able to attend without funding).

I am an international student, I write e-mail to the department to ask whether I have been rejected but there's no reply...

My guess is that you are not the only one waiting to hear from them and that sending such an e-mail will only make you look impatient and irritating.

sending such an e-mail will only make you look impatient and irritating.

True! But the OP's impatience is mitigated by the fact that international students are subjected to an incredibly loooong wait in receiving decision letters by departments who ONLY choose to inform via postal mail. Couple that with the erratic and sometimes incompetent postal system in certain Asian countries and the virtue of patience can readily transform into a bane.

However, I agree about not jumping the gun. I would wait about 2 weeks (after making certain that at least some decisions have gone out) prior to contacting the department.

I didn't apply to USC, but UCSD accepted me via generic e-mail Thursday, Feb. 12. The recruitment day information e-mail came on Wednesday (2/18), and one of the two faculty members with whom I want to work called me yesterday (2/20) to talk about the program. Recruits are responsible for arranging their own travel for the "Open House" Mar. 11-12, but the department will reimburse travel costs up to a certain limit: $100 from SoCal, $150 from NorCal, $300 from out of state.

Their decision may be coming in waves, but this is when I heard. Let me know if you have any UCSD-related questions!

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I just got an email from USC, asking if I'm still interested. Said they might be able to make an offer by April 1st or so. Is anyone here admitted?

I said that I would be, as long as I could visit before April 15th, and they said they would fund the travel. :)

Meanwhile, UCSD still sucks for not giving me any word. Waitlist for sure.

Update: I just got an email from USC, asking if I'm still interested. Said they might be able to make an offer by April 1st or so. Is anyone here admitted?

I said that I would be, as long as I could visit before April 15th, and they said they would fund the travel. :)

Meanwhile, UCSD still sucks for not giving me any word. Waitlist for sure.

Sweet!! Free trip to LA!!

Congrats!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a note for people considering UCSD- Steve Epstein has left the program for Northwestern. Although they still have his name up on the website, he's definitely leaving. I just thought you science studies folks would like to know...