Cornell vs UT Austin (ChemE Ph.D)

Well I'm an EE so I'm obviously ignorant about research at both schools in regard to ChE, but since ~any~ advice is welcome I would say, based on my EE esperience:

CORNELL ALL THE WAY!

Getting addmission to Cornell Engineering is a huge achievement, and with a full scholarship your question sounds kind of surprising! The issue of minor ranking variation in US news Graduate programs is really quite meaningless.. (If you want to feel better about Cornell, see the national rankings of US news, QS rankings, Shanqhai rankings, and Times.. I'm fairly certain Cornell is way ahead of UT Austin in general. Plus it's an ivy which is extremely prestigious when you're in a cocktail party surounded by people who know nothing about engineering/research. As for research quality I think that depends on the research lab and professor you're going to work with.. This certainly applies to EE labs and professors where you might prefer Austin if you'ld like to work in Signal Processing or Cornell for Robotics.. Afterall they're both excellent research schools)

All the best

Hi,

I got the same problem, stuck with NYU Sackler and UT Southwestern Biomedical Sciences.

Generally what people suggested me is the significance of location comparing Dallas and NYC. They generally support New York area due to density of the universities. Cornell has this chance, perhaps you might do your postdoc in NY or Boston Area. I know lots of people carried on their career with MIT after Cornell.

But, UT Austin is also an amazing school at engineering. I not very familiar with Chem Eng. But definitely, Austin has a better weather. The research faculty that you're interested might give you an idea.

Good Luck

Best