20-Hour TAship

edost

I've been offered a TAship of 20 hours a week (I'm not quite sure if they mean 20 hours of teaching, or if they include preparation time in that figure). It sounds like a lot to me. I've been a TA before, during my MA, but then I taught for just 4 hours a week, and I don't remember any of my friends doing any more than 8.

How difficult would a 20-hour TAship be, especially in my first year of a PhD program in the social sciences (Communications)?

It's probably listed as a "20-hour TAship" in contrast to a "10-hour TAship." Those are the levels at which full and half assistantships have been listed at both my MA and PhD school. It *definitely* includes preparation--20 classroom hours a week would mean teaching more than six courses, in addition to your own work! As far as workload, that depends on your program. You'll probably be responsible for 1-2 courses, but whether you are leading a discussion section, teaching the whole class, or simply acting as a grader and general helping hand to the prof will likely vary.

Okay, thanks for the help. It does make sense that preparation time is included. I guess the best thing to do is to ask the person listed as my supervisor in the offer letter.

Edited by edost