Lack of Politics Chatter on the Board

So Super Tuesday has come and gone and Mitt still has yet to win the hearts of the republicans, but more importantly, Dennis Kucinich no longer has a Congressional Seat! This is a true tragedy for the marginalized voice of peace and justice in our national politics!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/07/us/politics/after-ohio-primary-kucinich-loses-seat-in-congress.html?_r=1&hp

Political scientists talking about.... current events in politics? ... shocking!! :)

This entire election season has been so strange, that I'm sort of just sitting back waiting to see how it turns out.

Edited by Jwnich1

A lesson you learn in graduate school... "talking shop" outside of class time, study time, or research time will drive you bonkers. If you do not want to be driven mad and if you do not want to drive your cohort mad, you keep the poli-sci and politics chatter to a minimum during off-hours. Just a thought from the peanut gallery.

So Super Tuesday has come and gone and Mitt still has yet to win the hearts of the republicans, but more importantly, Dennis Kucinich no longer has a Congressional Seat! This is a true tragedy for the marginalized voice of peace and justice in our national politics!

http://www.nytimes.c...ss.html?_r=1

Okay I was somewhat hesitant about replying but I think I must. I am actually from and still live in Northwestern Ohio, so I saw a great deal over the 9th District Democratic Primary. While Representative Kucinich was liked amongst many who would label themselves as progressive, I think Marcy Kaptur deserved to win this one. Representative Kaptur is one of the hardest individuals in Ohio that I know who can also deliver on her promises she makes. What plagued Kucinich was that I feel he took he seat for granted by focusing on national politics rather than being a representative for his district, hence why I think he lost. I am not trying to start a massive debate, I just wanted to add my two cents since I am from the area.

Also, while people may think it interesting to live in a swing state, it is not necessarily fun when you are bombarded with campaign ads every two seconds.

I am interested to hear what others think.

I am also in the Buckeye state, but not in the NW. I am not surprised with result the for Kaptur, given that she's the longest serving woman in Congress. I was more surprised that Jean Schmidt lost in her

I am also in the Buckeye state, but not in the NW. I am not surprised with the result for Kaptur, given that she's the longest serving woman in Congress. I was more surprised that Jean Schmidt lost in her primary, and that District 3 went to Beatty (something I'm not too happy about considering her deceptive use of pictures of her with President Obama giving the image of an "endorsement" from him).

I said this at my last grad school visit, but elections are my least favorite part of democracy and horse-race commentary manages to be both addictive and basically bile. We do ourselves and everyone else a favor by passing on the stuff.

:)

Totally not my area of expertise, but doesn't Obama have a 12-15% favorability lead over Romney, Santorum, and Newt in a head-to-head? People don't vote for people they don't like, which is perhaps why turnout for the primaries has been atrocious this cycle. And a drawn-out battle - which it is now sure to be - only helps the incumbent, no? Add to this that Obama's approval ratings generally are, for the first time in months, eeking back to positive, the economy is still growing at a not-spectacular-but-not-negligible rate, and the whole culture war bait made the GOP look ridiculous -- thank you, Rush.

What is Romney's pitch going to be? "I am a conservative Christian with whom little of my base identifies"? "I will fix an economic problem that is rapidly disappearing based on my experience laying people off"? "I will be tougher on national security than the guy who was responsible* for the killing of Bin Laden"? I don't think any will fly with his constituency, much less independents. I mean, free of any normative judgment, what would we say the chances Obama is re-elected? I'd personally wager about 80%, barring some catastrophe.

* Because I know there's a whole question of attributing the success of the mission, but voters generally tend to give the nod to the President, whether good or bad.

A lesson you learn in graduate school... "talking shop" outside of class time, study time, or research time will drive you bonkers. If you do not want to be driven mad and if you do not want to drive your cohort mad, you keep the poli-sci and politics chatter to a minimum during off-hours. Just a thought from the peanut gallery.

I have to disagree (from my experience at least) I have a graduate degree and have found that those chatting about theory or their own special research interest will drive you bonkers not a topic such as an election that is understood by all subfields and really should be by any poli sci student who is an American.

Okay I was somewhat hesitant about replying but I think I must. I am actually from and still live in Northwestern Ohio, so I saw a great deal over the 9th District Democratic Primary. While Representative Kucinich was liked amongst many who would label themselves as progressive, I think Marcy Kaptur deserved to win this one. Representative Kaptur is one of the hardest individuals in Ohio that I know who can also deliver on her promises she makes. What plagued Kucinich was that I feel he took he seat for granted by focusing on national politics rather than being a representative for his district, hence why I think he lost. I am not trying to start a massive debate, I just wanted to add my two cents since I am from the area.

Also, while people may think it interesting to live in a swing state, it is not necessarily fun when you are bombarded with campaign ads every two seconds.

I am interested to hear what others think.

I think Kaptur is more than worthy, Kucinich is the by-product of redistricting.

Totally not my area of expertise, but doesn't Obama have a 12-15% favorability lead over Romney, Santorum, and Newt in a head-to-head? People don't vote for people they don't like, which is perhaps why turnout for the primaries has been atrocious this cycle. And a drawn-out battle - which it is now sure to be - only helps the incumbent, no? Add to this that Obama's approval ratings generally are, for the first time in months, eeking back to positive, the economy is still growing at a not-spectacular-but-not-negligible rate, and the whole culture war bait made the GOP look ridiculous -- thank you, Rush.

What is Romney's pitch going to be? "I am a conservative Christian with whom little of my base identifies"? "I will fix an economic problem that is rapidly disappearing based on my experience laying people off"? "I will be tougher on national security than the guy who was responsible* for the killing of Bin Laden"? I don't think any will fly with his constituency, much less independents. I mean, free of any normative judgment, what would we say the chances Obama is re-elected? I'd personally wager about 80%, barring some catastrophe.

* Because I know there's a whole question of attributing the success of the mission, but voters generally tend to give the nod to the President, whether good or bad.

I'll raise you to 99%. A slim plurality (I'm really hoping Ron Paul gives it a go as an independent).

I think the election will come down to who owns more Cadillacs. I bet Obama drives, at best, only one. How can he compete?

umm, I thought Obama took over the auto industry so would't that mean he owns all of them? Or does it mean that the Obama Comintern does?

• 5 weeks later...

I certainly became too close to 'real' politics last year, most my class mates barely understood there was a Scottish election on.. So I'm nice to them now and don't mention local politics :P

Edited by RLemkin